Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Craz surf setup tips

I have recently purchased a 2016 Moomba Craz that I have been told has 900 in each rear, 700 center, and 500 bow sac ballast = 3,000 pounds total ballast weight. I can't find any markings on the flyhighsacs in the rear to confirm the 900 pounds.

My question is: I'm looking for advice on ballast settings, and both port and starboard tab settings for surfing left and right sides. I get the idea of the wakeplate but looking for advice for ballast and side surf tab settings. Thank you in advance to all that share their experience and tips.

Everything full and then forget side surf, surfplate at 50% wakeplate between 15-20%. For starboard side surf, surfplate at 65%. Speed about 10.8-11mph. Then have anyone extra in the boat sit on whatever side you are surfing as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Hey guys, I have essentially the same question. My brother bought one last year and we are still not thrilled with the setup as of yet. Our kids who weigh 100lbs fly around without the rope with ease, but my bro and I weight 175 and 165 respectively and while we can certainly surf, we have a 400lb fat sac on the rear bench and have to physically move it side to side as we surf opposite sides. And of course it takes up seating not to mention its a pita. So much he called me and said he was looking at trading it for a Centurion. He wants to jump in the boat and just hit the buttons, fill the tanks and surf. We have the resources to either mod the Moomba or buy a different boat but that seems a bit drastic. Must be some way to get this thing a little more dialed in. To the OP, we have a cabin on CDA so we are neighbors. : )

Quote Originally Posted by SD1 View Post
    Hey guys, I have essentially the same question. My brother bought one last year and we are still not thrilled with the setup as of yet. Our kids who weigh 100lbs fly around without the rope with ease, but my bro and I weight 175 and 165 respectively and while we can certainly surf, we have a 400lb fat sac on the rear bench and have to physically move it side to side as we surf opposite sides. And of course it takes up seating not to mention its a pita. So much he called me and said he was looking at trading it for a Centurion. He wants to jump in the boat and just hit the buttons, fill the tanks and surf. We have the resources to either mod the Moomba or buy a different boat but that seems a bit drastic. Must be some way to get this thing a little more dialed in. To the OP, we have a cabin on CDA so we are neighbors. : )
    Get some “lead” ballast bags from wakeballast.com and keep that in the side lockers. I added 500# o. Top of the 1100’s I upgraded to in the rear lockers. At your weight you should have no issue. I’m 208 and can surf the Craz without any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Try letting out a little water in the opposite rear bag so you have more tilt on your surf side. Mine doesn't have autowake so depending on how many ppl are in the boat and where they are seated, I try to get the boat slightly leaning surf side. Usually around 100% surf side/85% opposite/100% front is what works for me. I have the upgraded rear bags (1100's) so around 3400 total ballast and have no issues with the wave.
    17' Craz

I have a 2016 Craz with 1100's in rear (which actually fill to probably between 900-1000) and center and bow. I fill all to overflowing, speed at 10.5, put wakeplate all the way up and surf tab on 35% for me to surf. I weigh 275 lbs. and have a Phase 5 Trident. I can surf ropeless all day long with only my wife and 11 year-old son in boat. With surf tab and wakeplate settings I use, the wave is very steep, but has push that will put me in the boat. I can surf probably 10 feet back or so like this. When I let my 11 year-old surf, I change surf tab to 70% and speed up to about 11-11.2 mph and put wakeplate all the way down. He has a Phase 5 Scamp and can probably surf 20 feet back! I was confused when I first bought boat about surf tabs. Lower percentage means steeper wave with more push but you can't surf as far back.
    2016 Moomba Craz
    2014 Chaparral H2O 21 Sport
    1997 Sea Ray 175 Sport

I also have a 2016 Craz. Upgraded rear ballasts (I think 1400?) and ride full ballasts, but am not happy with the wave, it can barely push me and I'm 165, surfing regular. I have the wakeplate all the way up, but I'm reading about the "surf tab". Is that in the factory settings? I would think that 100% would be best, but you are saying 35%? Can you clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by bpaul1033 View Post
    I also have a 2016 Craz. Upgraded rear ballasts (I think 1400?) and ride full ballasts, but am not happy with the wave, it can barely push me and I'm 165, surfing regular. I have the wakeplate all the way up, but I'm reading about the "surf tab". Is that in the factory settings? I would think that 100% would be best, but you are saying 35%? Can you clarify?
    100% is absolutely not the best. All it does is lift the back of the boat out of the water out too much. If you were surfing regular with the Craz you need to fill all the bballast 100%, run at about 10.8-11.2 mph and have the starboard surf plate at about 55% , wakeplate at 20%.
    I’m 208lb and have zero problems surfing the Craz. At 165, you are like my buddy and he can surf about 20’ back from my boat. 100% surf plate is useless!

2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    100% is absolutely not the best. All it does is lift the back of the boat out of the water out too much. If you were surfing regular with the Craz you need to fill all the bballast 100%, run at about 10.8-11.2 mph and have the starboard surf plate at about 55% , wakeplate at 20%.
    I’m 208lb and have zero problems surfing the Craz. At 165, you are like my buddy and he can surf about 20’ back from my boat. 100% surf plate is useless!

I see in your picture you have a ballast bag on the back seat. Is this on a 2016 Craz? Is this bag in addition to the rear locker bags? Also my dealer says that my problem is that our lake is only 10-12 feet deep. Does that make sense to anyone? I find the wave is better at 9.4 or 9.6mph....which is big, but not enough to push me...and it's usually a few feet behind the boat. Let me know about the extra ballast bag on the seat.

One other question....with a 2016 Craz has anyone tried or recommend a surf shaper?