Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I HATE FATHER'S DAY- Need Help:(

Last fathers day....Ran the boat on some rocks. $8500 and 2 Months later back to boating.

This Fathers day. - Just installed brand new Ballast From WakeMakers, and a new 1617 Prop. Fun! Not quite....

My Fill port came loose on one bag. Didnt realize it. Completely swamped the Bilge. Transmission was spinning in water as well as the engine.

The Bilge pump didnt work.

I have multiple issues so I will ask one a time here.

Ballast pumps: Run for a second, then just shut off. Play with them a bit and they start working. Then stop. Most noticeable on Filling.

Bilge Pump. Not sure how many I have, but I believe just one where the V-drive trans is. - Nothing..doesn't work auto or manual.

Swamping the engine and transmission.- Water didnt make it past the head, but engine wasn't making any power. It wouldnt get past 3000 RPM when starting to pull up surfer. Perhaps plugs were shorting out??? This was when I noticed the issues of the bag.

I haven't looked in the trans yet. We limped the boat back and put it on the trailer.

Troubleshooting advice would be greatly appreciated.
    2019 MAX
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition (SOLD)
    2001 Supra Sunsport SSV- SOLD
    2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cummins 6.7L

Quote Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
    Last fathers day....Ran the boat on some rocks. $8500 and 2 Months later back to boating.

This Fathers day. - Just installed brand new Ballast From WakeMakers, and a new 1617 Prop. Fun! Not quite....

My Fill port came loose on one bag. Didnt realize it. Completely swamped the Bilge. Transmission was spinning in water as well as the engine.

The Bilge pump didnt work.

I have multiple issues so I will ask one a time here.

Ballast pumps: Run for a second, then just shut off. Play with them a bit and they start working. Then stop. Most noticeable on Filling.

Bilge Pump. Not sure how many I have, but I believe just one where the V-drive trans is. - Nothing..doesn't work auto or manual.

Swamping the engine and transmission.- Water didnt make it past the head, but engine wasn't making any power. It wouldnt get past 3000 RPM when starting to pull up surfer. Perhaps plugs were shorting out??? This was when I noticed the issues of the bag.

I haven't looked in the trans yet. We limped the boat back and put it on the trailer.

Troubleshooting advice would be greatly appreciated.
    How’d it run with the 1617 prior to to water infiltration?

I installed a 1617 on my 08 LSV and it could not get passed 3000 rpms with full ballast. It was the 1617. Re-installed the 1847 and she ran like a champ again. I’m now using a 2315.

I guarantee it’s the 1617 prop. It’s a turd. Runs great without ballast, but with even partial ballasts it lugs. Have a prop shop re-pitch it for you to 1847 specs or if it will fit, trade it for a 2315.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
    How’d it run with the 1617 prior to to water infiltration?

I installed a 1617 on my 08 LSV and it could not get passed 3000 rpms with full ballast. It was the 1617. Re-installed the 1847 and she ran like a champ again. I’m now using a 2315.

I guarantee it’s the 1617 prop. It’s a turd. Runs great without ballast, but with even partial ballasts it lugs. Have a prop shop re-pitch it for you to 1847 specs or if it will fit, trade it for a 2315.

It ran good. And I have read all over the place the 1617 was the way to go. BUT....I think you may be correct unfortunately. I wonder if wakemakers will trade it?
    2019 MAX
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition (SOLD)
    2001 Supra Sunsport SSV- SOLD
    2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cummins 6.7L

After talking to Nettles Props, I put an 1847 on my 2007 Mobius LSV and love it. Count me in as a +1 on the 1847.
    twkoehn
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1100s in rear lockers
    750 lb IBS
    Acme 1847

I dont understand the issues you guys are having with the 1617. It pulls like a truck for surfing...
    Many many people on this forum will say the same thing.
    2007 Mobius LSV - Sold

I also have the 1617 and over 4000 lbs. of ballast at times, and no problems with the prop/boat for surfing.
    2008 Mobius LSV
    1100's each rear
    570 ski locker
    750 IBS
    Plus bags 625 and lead 650
    Reversible pumps-3
    ACME 2937 prop
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    Swell shaper

The prop is the last thing I would be worried about right now. Start with ensuring no water in the engine oil or trans fluid.

Get a multimeter and start tracing the bilge wires to find the issue.

When those are good, move on to the ballast, with the prop last.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

Quote Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
    It ran good. And I have read all over the place the 1617 was the way to go. BUT....I think you may be correct unfortunately. I wonder if wakemakers will trade it?
    Wakemakers charges a $50 exchange fee.

2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by GW@vineyardlake View Post
    I also have the 1617 and over 4000 lbs. of ballast at times, and no problems with the prop/boat for surfing.
    I was surprised as well. However, boat surged great with 1847, installed 1617 and just plowed water at 3000rpms and max throttle. Pulled 1617 and reinstalled 1847 and boat surged great!

Now I’m running the 2315 15” diameter and pulls like crazy with even more ballast and stays within wot rpms even fully weighted. Able to surf at 2500-2800 rpms VS 3000 rpms with 1847.

The 1617 didn’t work for me at all.

2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

ok so to your original issue, start with changing all the fluids that were affected, then new bilge pump, do compression test and leak down on engine. change plugs while they are out doing comp and leak down. engines are very simple overall keep them in operating temp and keep all their systems clean and separite from each other. a prop choice is irrelevent if you blow up the engine. whenever there is mods or repair work, double and triple check work. a 2$ hose clamp is cheaper than a reman indmar engine from bakes on line for 5000$ plus install and time off the water