Default Volvo Penta Electric Power

I work for Volvo and saw this announced on the company intranet today.

http://boatingindustry.com/news/2018...ower-deadline/
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

It should work well for a surf boat also. Instant torque and battery weight. They just need a really good sealed compartment to prevent water from making the boat a fireworks display.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Battery chargers at the lake should be interesting.

A hybrid of electric/gas would rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Battery chargers at the lake should be interesting.

A hybrid of electric/gas would rock.

How would that be any different than shore power that they have available at countless Marinas here in Portland??? It's so commonplace for boat slips to have power available here. We have a guy that's at one of our marinas that rents 100% electric tour boats.

It's kind of like when people scoff at the idea of a diesel powered boat, yet every single one of our gas docks here on the river have diesel.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Don’t get me wrong, had a Volt for 3 years and loved it.

Just envisioning charging and water not mixing.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I can't say that I see an electric wakeboat being a mainstream thing. nothing like spending all day on the water and losing a charge where with gas, 20 minutes and you are good to go again. there's a small niche market for it in runabouts but don't see it in wakeboats.

similar to diesel wakeboats. there have been a few show up now and again and if it was a better alternative than gas, I would bet money mc and 'bu would already have them out. diesel makes more sense in large yachts where you need an engine turning low rpm's and tons of torque for the prop to bite.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Well if your ballast is nothing but batteries, I don't see why it couldn't run all day long.
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

Hybrid certainly makes more sense as you will always have the ICE to power and generate.

It will be an interesting development and tricky too.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I see more promise in hybrid drivetrains in pleasure and tow boats.

I'm currently working on a project that does the TIG welding in the electric motor for one major US built hybrid drivetrain, and we were just awarded a contract for the line that will build another crucial component used in a different major US based auto manufacturer's effort to hybridize their flagship model which is a very very major player in the US auto market. Electric and hybridization IS COMING to every level of automobiles, and will be in boating sooner then any of us expect.

My career has been in custom machinery - mostly for automotive manufacturing. In the last 5 years, new machinery for piston engines has been dwindling, and processes specific to the electrification of automobiles has ramped up and an exponential rate. it's an exciting time to be in manufacturing!
    2018 Moomba Craz | Autowake 2.0, Zero-Off, G6 Pumps | Captain Blue/Dark Graphite/Silver Flake | Enzos + Lead