Default Center drain plug (T-plug) back-out

Hey all. So, what a nerve racking situation I found myself in Saturday. Pulling tubers (I know, I know...why?) and I suddenly could tell that something changed. Heard an ever so slight change in exhaust noise. Came off plain, got them in and definitely knew something was up....sluggish above idle. Noticed bilge was on and pulled the center hatch and low and behold the center plug was out! I couldn't believe it. Needless to say if that plug is out the bilge definitely can't keep up. Water was probably 5 to 6 inches from the main deck down in the bilge. I checked the tranny fluids afterward and everything is fine. So bottom line, is this even supposed to be a possibility? No one has screwed (pun intended) around with that plug -- I just never would imagine it could back out from being as tight as I can get it by hand. Has anyone had this happen and are there remedies? Teflon tape help? Thanks in advance.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

Was the handle on the floor.

Mine never backed out in 5 years on the 2012
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

A first for everything and the probability of a center drain plug backing out is really low. If you pull the plug then put it in a place that it can't be missed. I put it in my driver's seat so at least I see it before backing out from the dock but it still never happened.
    Last edited by zabooda; 06-11-2018 at 12:11 AM.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    Was the handle on the floor.

Mine never backed out in 5 years on the 2012
    Yes, all the way out of the hole. We are on a lift when not in use so I just put it in for the season and forget it (or that was my previous thoughts). Prior to this trip out we were in the slip but not lifted since we were heading back out shortly. I noticed the bilge kick on, and preceded to check the ballast bag fittings thinking something had come undone. I then (wrongly) attributed it to all the kids in and out loading while dripping wet, etc. At that point I think the plug must have been barely inserted while letting some water in. Then, on the trip out going over some rollers at speed must have popped it out the rest of the way. It seems to get super tight by hand so I'm still puzzled at why it came out on its own.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

Somebody messed with it, probably couldn't get it screwed back in and left it "kind of" threaded. There is no way that would happen on its own.
    2015 Mojo Surf

Is the lift at your house or marina? I’d say you pissed someone off I don’t see that plug coming out by itself.

I make it a habit to remove and install mine my self every lake trip so I know 100% I don’t have to think about it . I don’t know if your lake has zebra muscles or not but probably be a better idea to start removing the plug every time instead of letting them grow inside your boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Mojo
    2005 Yamaha at-230 sold
    2012 Ram 2500 tow rig