Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default '17 Supra SE - setup question

Anyone figured out the optimal setting on the Supra SE for a nice steep wake? I can get a good wake but it does not seem to have the vertical slope in order to get some air. thoughts?

Maybe start with what you have tried already and how you’re setup ballast wise. Then people can chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    Maybe start with what you have tried already and how you’re setup ballast wise. Then people can chime in.

Good point. Here's my current setup:

Surf style: Goofy
    Ballast:
    - Port = 70%
    - Star = 100%
    - Cent = 70%

Wakeplate = 0%
    port tab = 65%
    Speed = 10.8

Typically on 2-3 other people on the boat.

Default '17 Supra SE - setup question

Tab to 55-45%, any smartplate below 30 is fine lower is better, speed up to at least 11.4 (I ride 11.7-12). Less tall but harder wave you can Ollie off of easier to air.

More weight if you’re factory ballast. I run 1280# rear sacs AND 850 lead (mostly midship). Listing 6-7 degrees and nose high 9-10 for goofy is ideal. Same for regular except list 4-5 degrees.

So, weight is GOOD. SE craves it. She will deliver! I am a 6’3” 220# guy.

Last edited by dakota4ce; 06-08-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Tab to 55-45%, any smartplate below 30 is fine lower is better, speed up to at least 11.4 (I ride 11.7-12). Less tall but harder wave you can Ollie off of easier to air.

More weight if you’re factory ballast. I run 1280# rear sacs AND 850 lead (mostly midship). Listing 6-7 degrees and nose high 9-10 for goofy is ideal. Same for regular except list 4-5 degrees.

Thanks for the info. Are you running boat rear sacs full or do you reduce the water in the non-surf side?

Quote Originally Posted by Dancollier111 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Are you running boat rear sacs full or do you reduce the water in the non-surf side?
    With my 1280 sacs I have to drain a wee bit non surf. If I felt like moving a few lead bags I would not have to. One or the other.

Can you explain a little of what the smartplate is actually doing? When I go to 0 (lower) does that mean the smartplate is retracting or activating and what is the difference in the wave at 0 vs. 100. I was under the impression the wave got steeper at 100 smartplate and longer but shorter at 0.

What about the swellsurf tabs? What are these actually doing? Again I assumed at 100 it would provide the ultimate wave but I can adjust back down if it is better.
    2021 Supra SE

You're backwards on the smartplate.
    0 is all the way up, 100 is all the way down.

So at 100 you have the tab all the way down which pushes the nose down and lifts the rear.
    You want to surf with it at 0-20 in my experience for the best wave.

The surf tabs are creating list and a crabbing motion of the boat, 100 is not necessarily best because it causes a lot of lift negating some of your ballast.
    I think I run mine around 70 but don't rememebr 100%.
    2020 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
    You're backwards on the smartplate.
    0 is all the way up, 100 is all the way down.

So at 100 you have the tab all the way down which pushes the nose down and lifts the rear.
    You want to surf with it at 0-20 in my experience for the best wave.

The surf tabs are creating list and a crabbing motion of the boat, 100 is not necessarily best because it causes a lot of lift negating some of your ballast.
    I think I run mine around 70 but don't rememebr 100%.
    Ahh yes, I sort of said that backwards but 100 being down was my thinking, but I definitely had its effect backwards, I thought 100 (down) peaked it out higher. I will try to put that to 0-20 and try the surf tab at 70.

What about ballast, is autowake best to use or do you just disable it and put 100 ballast all the way around? The latter is what I have been doing only because I figured displacement was more important that losing 500 lbs in ability to adjust pitch and roll but wasn't sure.
    2021 Supra SE

Smart plate has a couple functions.

It goes to 100% (full down position)when launching to help get you on plane quickly.

But for surfing, the smart plate lifts the transom out of water and pushes the bow down into water. This will lengthen but flatten your surf wave. It effectively lengthens the running surface of the boat and counteracts your displacement. So ideally you want to run as little smart plate as you can when surfing (0-25%)

On a Supra/moomba, you want to hit your pitch and roll numbers, not your plate %.

The surf plates help you hit your roll numbers with the ballast that you are running. More roll is not exactly better. The plates don’t create the wave, the hull does, and the more displacement of that hull the better.

The key to getting a Supra to surf is your pitch and roll numbers and overall displacement in the water.

You can use autowake to help you achieve your pitch and roll OR you can do it manually, by shifting crew, lead to get your numbers.

Ideally autowake will get you to your pitch and roll, but it will likely drain off some ballast, to counter that, add lead/crew to the opposite side and autowake will add water back.

Once you get the hang of what autowake is telling you to do, it’s awesome.

There is a learning curve.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan