Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Surf Rope Issues

How long of a surf rope do you all use?

I have an older ronix rope/handle that I really like but with the new Max it’s not long enough to easily get to a rider in the water without having someone throw it EVERY time. When towing from the tower it seems to get snagged on any and everything possible (platform, board rack, seams of sundeck upholstery, etc).

I tried it from the lower rear tow point but that doesn’t swivel and the rider has to swim up behind the boat to get it.

Any recommendations or suggestions on equipment or technique?

Keep in mind I’m still getting used to the low speed handling of this monster of a boat. It’s nothing like my old OBV lol

Thanks
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

24ft..I have this one but out of stock

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017ETIHK4..._kvXfBbCGTSSMF
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

I don’t get it. We throw it every time....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Us too...
    this is the one I use. They’re short, mine gets hung on boards in the tower and all kinds of places if you turn slow dragging it.
    https://www.ronixwake.com/Product/20...tch-surf-rope/
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

We never bring the rope in, just throw it to the other side after you're up and swim over and get it after you fall. We do more of a hot pickup style, probably not easy for beginner drivers.

Protip, learn to lay on top of your board like surfers do and paddle over, easy and quick. Driver just needs to pass by the surfer close to the boat at slow speed.
    Last edited by parrothd; 06-05-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Default Surf Rope Issues

Thanks for the tips. 🤣

We don’t even use words for pickups. Really. There are no words exchanged in my crew.

I also hate the bouncing rope in videos, therefore, tossed into boat.

I also feel like there is a residual safety hazard with a rope out there in a crazy weird fall scenario. Never know. Don’t feel like pulling a limb off.

Last edited by dakota4ce; 06-05-2018 at 10:32 PM.

OP:

I bought Lakewakes $24.99 24’ surf rope and it’s just fine for cheap.

After my expensive one was worn down after 4 seasons of constant use.

I have both styles on my boat: t handle and normal handle.

Most riders like the t handle. It’s heavier, does not bounce around much, does not get tangled as much. It’s long b/c I’m usually making it shorter in one of the sections - there are 3 or 4 of them.

We also toss into the boat or I make someone in charge of getting the rope into the boat.

When I ride, the style does not make a difference to me. I just try to pop-up and toss into the boat. Probably choose the newer Hyperlite one just b/c it’s new.

2018 Supra SL400

Thanks for the replies fellas. On some days it’s not a problem as I will have a dedicated crew (my buddies) with me that all know what needs to be done, but other days it’s my fiancé’s friends who don’t pay attention to what’s going on. On these days it’s nice to just leave the rope in the water and bring it around to the rider without barking instructions EVERY TIME.

I’m actually a very experienced driver and surfer, bought my first inboard (1982 mastercraft stars and stripes) back in 2005, then my outback v in 2008. I just got the Max, however, and am still getting used to it’s low speed characteristics.

Sounds like I need to try a longer rope, right now I can’t even see the rider in the water behind the giant ass end of the max when the rope is tight. I taught 4 newbs to surf (and got all of them out of the water!) this past Sunday and it got rather frustrating not being able to see if/when the rider is ready.
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

Once you get a longer rope, snake it out the side of the tower near the top on the surf side. It'll help them up and push them to the side. I also raised the driver seat 7inches..lol

For experienced riders we leave the rope on the driver side, helps when swinging around for pickup and gives a fun whip for starts regular riders.
    Last edited by parrothd; 06-06-2018 at 10:06 AM.