Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My Moomba stinks!

Not what you're thinking...for the record, love my Moomba!!! ('04 Mobius LS) BUT...I park it in my garage and the fuel smell is unbearable. It's stinking up the whole house everytime I open the door. I figured it might be better after it was winterized but no luck. Why would it be any different than my car which doesn't stink up the joint. Well, my old VW did but that's another issue Any ideas? Do I need to drain the remaining fuel out? Is there a pressure relief vent that might be allowing vapors to escape? Odor is most prevalant around the rear locker/fuel tank. No leaks that I'm aware of. No way I can live with this all Winter. Help!

Nope...ran her down to 1/8 tank before winterizing. Hesitant to plug vent in gas cap, although I guess it wouldn't be a prob since it's not in use and in a climate controlled area. Just doesn't seem right. I used to love that unique smell, but it's getting to be too much of a good thing.

My guess would be leak in the tank. Mine is indooors - full, empty etc with another boat. Sealed for weeks between rides with no windows and I have never had any gas smell (it does stay cool since the bld is insulated).

Leak small enough so it evaporates befor pooling, or pooling where you do not see it but I would start looking for a screw in the tank or a cracked hose or fitting.

SD2

Yikes...any idea how hard to access tank? Assume I've gotta pull out the carpet liner in the rear locker and go from there? Thankfully I don't think it's in the engier since it's so strong in the rear. When I open the rear lid the smell is really, really strong...Thanks again

i hate to say this but i finally have to agree with sd2

my 02 outback and my 05 supra have both spent many days in the garage and i have never smelled any fuel.

i would guess you might have a loose line or what sd2 suggested

My bet is a cracked fuel line or lose clamp.

Check the engine compartment and the filler hose clamps with a good flashlight and try to feel for anythig wet.

-J

it's DEFINITELY originating from the rear...not looking forward to tearing my boat apart this weekend Will report back what/if anyting I find...

My friends Malibu had this problem. It was caused by the gas tank seal leaking around the top of the tank. If that is your problem remember, dont use any gasket maker on it. Only the gasket itself.
    ________
    chevy specs
    Last edited by superman; 01-24-2011 at 01:39 PM.

I had this problem with an old car actually. It was the filler hose for the tank - but that was the accordian / flex aluminum hose. The air handler for the house was in the garage, and when I filled up and parked in the garage overnight - my house smelled like a auto mechanichs garage!

good luck

-J

Thanks guys...Superman~ I think you're on it. I nosed around the rear locker today (pun intended) and the raw fuel smell is most prevalant around the cap and inside the locker. I can't see anything that indicates the fuel cap has a presure release mechanism so I'm assuming there is another one somewhere which could be the culpit and/or a leak in the filler hose or where it enters the tank. I just don't want to have to pull all of the panels to find out. Can't deal with it all winter though and I'd assume it's a huge risk using it again with the fuel vapor buildup potential. We'll call it next weekend's project as the Broncos are on in and hour