Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Homemade surf tabs

Long post, so bear with me.

I went round and round in my mind about whether to make a set of surf gates or tabs for my boat. Gates seemed easier, but when I made a ghetto gate to test the "proof of concept", the wave wasn't very good, and my boat didn't like it much. So tabs it is.

I looked at the tabs that come on basically all the manufacturers that used them, and ended up essentially copying what's on the MB boats.

I made about 100 drawings, and at least 3 cardboard mockups until I was happy with it, then gave those measurements to my buddy, who put them into CAD
    2019 Supra SL450

We got the metal waterjet cut, bent at a local fabricator, and then welded them up. I could have saved about $150 by cutting everything myself and welding on the side pieces instead of bending them, but the finished product is much nicer this way.

I also had to make the lower actuator brackets, which is of 2" square aluminum tube with one side shaved off. The tabs are 3/16" 5052 aluminum plate, roughly 17.5" wide x 21" long. Everything powdercoated satin black.

2019 Supra SL450

Lenco uses #14 screws for their trim tab hinges, so that's what I was going to do too. They say to drill the pilot holes with a 3/16" bit. Drilling into the hull was more than a little nerve-wracking. First screw cracked the hell out of the gelcoat and froze in place about 1/2" in, and the head broke off. F*%k!!! I decided to leave that screw alone, and used #12 screws for the rest.

I also had to use the Lenco remote gland seal kit to route the actuator wires into the boat, because where the actuators mount is below the floor in the lockers. Broke one screw on each of those too. 1" thick fiberglass does not like being screwed into.
    2019 Supra SL450

For controls, I'm initially using regular Lenco trim tab switches. I made a mounting plate to mount the switches in the huge hole left by the Sony remote next to the throttle.

In a couple weeks a friend I made through another forum is sending me an arduino-based controller he built which will have all of the features of the Wake Logic setup, without the high price tag.

Wiring the relay panel took the longest of all of this, because I’m slow and because I changed a few things as I went along. I think it turned out okay.
    2019 Supra SL450

The first (and only, so far) day of testing had mixed results. The wave forms almost instantly, and the shape is much better and more fun than the Nauticurl wave, but at the moment doesn't have as much push. I need to move weight around to see where it needs to be.

I need to remove some weight from the bow, because the tab pushes the nose down, as well as lists the boat. That may add some push.
    2019 Supra SL450

My biggest mistake was using aluminum hinges. That’s what MB uses, but I guess theirs are much thicker than what I used. My hinges started to bend, particularly at that one broken screw.

I pulled the tabs back off, and was able to get that broken screw out. My buddy suggested we tap the holes for ¼”-20 machine screws, which is what we ended up doing. The threads are the same depth as the sheet metal screws, but there are many more of them, so the holding power will be much greater. I don’t know why Lenco and others don’t suggest doing it this way.

I ordered some new, thicker, stainless steel hinges. They were supposed to be delivered yesterday, but apparently were damaged in shipping, so now I’m in waiting mode. Once I get them, I’ll polish them (actually to a brushed finish) instead of powdercoat, and get everything reinstalled next week.
    Last edited by Shoebox; 08-22-2018 at 10:35 AM.
    2019 Supra SL450

I can pass along my GSA experience—for whatever it might be worth. Probably zero! 🤣

Try deploying the tab at a shallower angle, and run more rear weight. Get them deep as you can, then avoid as much lift as you can. I owned GSA on my MB.

I ran enough bow weight to keep the running attitude reasonable—like in the 10 degree pitch range. So I slammed the rear big time, then sprinkled in bow until it ran appropriately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    I can pass along my GSA experience—for whatever it might be worth. Probably zero! 🤣

Try deploying the tab at a shallower angle, and run more rear weight. Get them deep as you can, then avoid as much lift as you can. I owned GSA on my MB.

I ran enough bow weight to keep the running attitude reasonable—like in the 10 degree pitch range. So I slammed the rear big time, then sprinkled in bow until it ran appropriately.

Thanks. Yeah I have a lot of tweaking to do to find the best setup. It'll be much easier when the real controller gets here, because I'll be able to get it dialed, then hit a button to save the tab setting. Right now it's kinda shooting in the dark, since I have no indication of tab/actuator position.
    2019 Supra SL450

That makes sense. The GSA system would always deploy fully, and then I would use the dial to suck it back up until it was shallower and created a steeper wave.

Gsa can be tricky to dial but the results are well worth it. The system loves weight.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    -Jake