Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indmar Bogging

UPDATE

seems to be a bad ignition control module, i took that off the distributor and there was a little corrosion on two prongs. cleaned that and reinstalled for testing and it ran perfect. getting a new one today and heading out for a lake test. tried all the other steps listed here (spray carb cleaner around the intake, checked power at both v drive pressure sensor and oil pressure sensor, checked power at ignition switch, etc) Thanks to all that responded.
    2002 mobius LSV
    Lake Minnetonka, MN

I need to revive this thread, the issue remains and ive learned a little more now.

After about 20 minutes of running, the issue will go away and not come back for the day. Another interesting thing happened the other day, i came to find both batteries dead and i dont think i left anything on (who knows tho). Gave it a jump, and ever since then the tach bounces around in addition to the boat not wanting to rev out. i think the tach bouncing could be an indicator of where the problem lies, somewhere in the distributor, but not really sure what to look at there.

Any thoughts? Troubleshooting is hard, because after enough tinkering the issue isnt even there anymore. so ill replace something and think its fixed, till next time i go out. So far replaced ignition control module, spark plugs, cap and rotor, fuel pump and fuel filter. could try plug wires but i couldnt find them locally and havent ordered them yet.
    2002 mobius LSV
    Lake Minnetonka, MN

Quote Originally Posted by ranger098 View Post
    I need to revive this thread, the issue remains and ive learned a little more now.

After about 20 minutes of running, the issue will go away and not come back for the day. Another interesting thing happened the other day, i came to find both batteries dead and i dont think i left anything on (who knows tho). Gave it a jump, and ever since then the tach bounces around in addition to the boat not wanting to rev out. i think the tach bouncing could be an indicator of where the problem lies, somewhere in the distributor, but not really sure what to look at there.

Any thoughts? Troubleshooting is hard, because after enough tinkering the issue isnt even there anymore. so ill replace something and think its fixed, till next time i go out. So far replaced ignition control module, spark plugs, cap and rotor, fuel pump and fuel filter. could try plug wires but i couldnt find them locally and havent ordered them yet.
    Just had a similar issue on another boat, what's the voltage while running on the guage? I'd check the alternator wiring, you should be getting 13+ volts.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    Just had a similar issue on another boat, what's the voltage while running on the guage? I'd check the alternator wiring, you should be getting 13+ volts.
    It varies with the RPMs, but it’s definitely not 13, I’m usually happy to see 12 volts, but it’s usually under 12. Power has always been low at the dash too
    2002 mobius LSV
    Lake Minnetonka, MN

So I did some more poking around today and found that at idle, the purple wire on the alternator is putting out about 11v. Main orange wire is a good 13.9-14. What’s the right voltage for that purple wire?
    2002 mobius LSV
    Lake Minnetonka, MN