Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gauge Questions

Default Gauge Questions

Hi all,

I am new the board and have acquired a new to me '08 OBV. The boat was running rough coming out of winterization so after running out the old gas I changed the plugs, gas filter, impeller, and gave the boat some fresh 93 octane (100% gas). The 'running rough' was corrected and all seemed great. Then, randomly, I started the boat and the hour meter on the tach didn't read the engine hours anymore (last reading was ~282) and instead says 'Error 1'. After exchanging emails with Faria/Beede the root cause seems to be an 'electrical spike' that scrambles the hour meter. It cannot be repaired. The tach works fine and the boat runs great. The gauge reading 'Error 1' is super annoying and I need a way to track hours. Now I am trying to find a suitable replacement. The tach is a 'size 5' or 4 and 3/8 hole. Finding a 'size 4' is easy and finding a 'size 5' seems tough. So, I am looking for recommendations? Also, if I replace the gauge(s), what other things should I consider? For instance, would there be an effect on the cruise control and/or of other things I should consider? Any recommendations on where to get a tach or a gauge set?

Thanks in advance!

Hopefully the issue is solved - posting an update Incase it helps someone else. Called Skiers Choice. They told me the original gauge is no longer produced but there is a replacement in the catalog. $162 bucks plus shipping to my local dealer. The guy on the phone also said the ECM on the 08 325 Assault should have the hours stored and the replacement tach with hourmeter should ‘sync’. I have my doubts on that. Any experience here? I’ll post the end result when the gauge arrives and it’s installed.

How old is the boat? The hours is used for your own personal use and for resale so you can put an hour meter anywhere including out of sight and it will serve that purpose. Save a copy of this dated thread to show a prospective buyer what the hours were when the meter failed. You still have to look at the fail message unless you cover it.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by adventurerider54 View Post
    Hopefully the issue is solved - posting an update Incase it helps someone else. Called Skiers Choice. They told me the original gauge is no longer produced but there is a replacement in the catalog. $162 bucks plus shipping to my local dealer. The guy on the phone also said the ECM on the 08 325 Assault should have the hours stored and the replacement tach with hourmeter should ‘sync’. I have my doubts on that. Any experience here? I’ll post the end result when the gauge arrives and it’s installed.
    I had to replace the Gauge in my 08 LSV back when I owned it. it was warranty but I still used the boat while the part was shipped in, same issue your having. They plugged the new gauge in and the hours updated. The hours are stored via the ECM not the gauge, that way if you unplug the gauge to think your going to show less hours you can't.

Same way New Cars work, you can unplug stuff but the ECM stores all your data.
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Been a while but I wanted to close the topic with all the info. So, hour meter is fried and a replacement cannot be found anywhere. That is disappointing. At least my local shop can get the hours from the ECU when I need them. I had an issue with my boat being difficult to start and through some research on site I suspected my ignition switch was bad. Sure enough it had a short. Not only was this causing the fuel pumps / injection system not to work right at startup up it also likely was the cause of frying my hour meter. Hopefully this will help someone else. The boat runs great now and starts super easy. All by replacing a $35 switch.

Don't know if I should start a new thread so just adding on to this one. I have a 2008 Outback DD and the speedometer needs replaced. I called Faria/Beede to ask what I should do about a replacement. Since they no longer make a replacement they have a GPS unit they recommend but want to know if the cutout is 3 3/8" or 4 3/8". I have called two Moomba Dealer and Skiers Choice and nobody seems to know. Does anyone happen to know or how I can find out without climbing under there and taking it out. Thanks!
    2008 Outback

Quote Originally Posted by cachais View Post
    Don't know if I should start a new thread so just adding on to this one. I have a 2008 Outback DD and the speedometer needs replaced. I called Faria/Beede to ask what I should do about a replacement. Since they no longer make a replacement they have a GPS unit they recommend but want to know if the cutout is 3 3/8" or 4 3/8". I have called two Moomba Dealer and Skiers Choice and nobody seems to know. Does anyone happen to know or how I can find out without climbing under there and taking it out. Thanks!
    You are in luck. I am replacing mine in a 2008 Moomba Outback DD as we speak. The cutout is a 4.375 or larger, the original series is a 5" face. I am using a Faria 33761 Chesapeake SS black. Claims to be 5" GPS with no external antenna needed. We shall see today or tomorrow.
    2008 Moomba Outback DD resurrection

Wow! That is serious good luck. I have been trying for days to figure this out. Please keep me posted on your install, set up etc... I'm not super handy but am eager to hear how difficult or easy it is before I attempt it myself. Thanks for supplying the model number and responding.
    2008 Outback

Skier's Choice finally emailed me and said the cut out is 3 3/8 which is smaller than what you are seeing. Crazy. Eager to hear the results of your install.
    2008 Outback

Default Gauge Questions

Quote Originally Posted by cachais View Post
    Skier's Choice finally emailed me and said the cut out is 3 3/8 which is smaller than what you are seeing. Crazy. Eager to hear the results of your install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Fastest1; 05-13-2020 at 03:06 PM.
    2008 Moomba Outback DD resurrection