Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Reusing factory ballast bags

When we upgraded our rear ballast bags, we kept the old fat sacs that came stock with the boat as wakemakers suggested it. They sell fitting so you can use the bags. I however cannot get the glued in fittings that allowed the hookup of the factory ballast pumps.

Has anyone had any luck? I tried using a hair dryer and a propane torch to heat the glue, but it was unsuccessful.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Default Reusing factory ballast bags

I just successfully did the same thing with my 2016 Helix bags. It took two grown men, a vice grips, and a channel locks pliers to get mine loose. We were just about to quit when we got it to break loose. Not easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Willyourun; 05-28-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willyourun View Post
    I just successfully did the same thing with my 2016 Helix bags. It took two grown men, a vice grips, and a channel locks pliars to get mine loose. We were just about to quit when we got it to break loose. Not easy.

Did you use a hair dryer?

I did but I’m not sure it did any good. There’s no way I could have done it by myself.

I used a heat gun to get mine out. I don't have enough hair to need a hairdryer. LOL
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    I used a heat gun to get mine out. I don't have enough hair to need a hairdryer. LOL
    Was it super difficult? How long did you leave the gun on?

Quote Originally Posted by fordbrent1 View Post

It was a pain. I think I sprayed some solvent on it to weaken the glue. It really varies. Some come right out, others take tons of effort, and others the bag gets destroyed.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by fordbrent1 View Post

It’s a pain in the butt! I had two bags I had to remove stock glued in fittings from. I used a hairdryer and the first one took me about 25 minutes to get out. The hardest part is being able to stand on the little black edge of the valve while trying to pry the fitting out sideways. It isn’t as easy as the video suggests. I’d try to find something narrow that you can stand on that will go on top of the black ring and hold it down
    While you pry once the glue loosens from the heat. 2 of the 4 came out for me. 2 were fairly easy, the third took close to 2 and a half hours, the fourth, well, the entire weld came apart from the inside and the entire valve assembly attached to the flange came out leaving a hole in the bag. The bag is trashed. Got in contact with FatSac and nothing they can do. Told me to go through my local dealer and FatSac said they would warranty it since it was a brand new bag. It’s still laying on the floor of my office. I’ve ordered LeadWake bags and said screw trying to fool with the portable pump and lugging ballast bags around the boat.
    2017 Moomba Helix
    Flow 2.0
    AutoWake
    Surf Edition
    WM Rears 1200s
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    Fat Sac 400s (Midship compartments)
    LeadWake bags

I talked to fatsac today about the bags and some fittings. They told me that the cement they use now is no longer rubber cement, but rather permanent for the ports. Guys, you are better off spending a few more dollars on fittings rather than struggling and damaging the old bags.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxMojo View Post
    I talked to fatsac today about the bags and some fittings. They told me that the cement they use now is no longer rubber cement, but rather permanent for the ports. Guys, you are better off spending a few more dollars on fittings rather than struggling and damaging the old bags.
    Is there a fitting I can add to the factory fitting and be able to make it work?