Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Parking the boat to the left advice

This is my first V-drive boat so I am learning how to park this compared to my Jet boat. The launch I use the most only has a single dock which only on side to park a boat on. The salesmen said that the moombas only like to back up to the right side and when he demoed it he drove the boat in at a 30 degree angle nice and slow about a boat length away turned the well hard right and put it in reverse to suck it over to the dock. If it only backs up one way what is the best way to park it on the other side. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowslydder View Post
    This is my first V-drive boat so I am learning how to park this compared to my Jet boat. The launch I use the most only has a single dock which only on side to park a boat on. The salesmen said that the moombas only like to back up to the right side and when he demoed it he drove the boat in at a 30 degree angle nice and slow about a boat length away turned the well hard right and put it in reverse to suck it over to the dock. If it only backs up one way what is the best way to park it on the other side. Thanks for the help.
    Yep to park with dock on the left come in SLOW at 30° and then go into neutral and coast in when about 10-12’ out and cut the wheel hard right and just engage reverse and apply just enough throttle to slow you down. Have a helper read on the port up front if possible. Key is SLOW and don’t freak the hell out and start hammering the gas into forward or reverse.
    2017 Moomba Craz

You got it. just go slow and easy. it helps to go to the lake early season to practice without everyone watching
    Web.
    1997 Outback and stopped looking

Default Parking the boat to the left advice

Idle is your friend. Get used to the one or two second delay when engaging forward or reverse (assumed Moomba). It’s not immediate and so then you can tend to give gas and that’s get things crazy quick.

Coming hot also means you will be fighting your own wake so slow it down. Don’t rush things in a boat when launching, docking, or loading. Only leads to bad things that cost money to fix or injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by russellsmojo; 05-22-2018 at 08:09 PM.
    2017 Supra SA

well I will go practice on a speed buoy in lake whatcom before coming in this weekend. Thanks for the tips

Quote Originally Posted by Snowslydder View Post
    Personally I would flip it around and park it starboard (right) always, I've seen the most seasoned drivers try to park port (left) and end up frustrated and messing up the boat. Even tight spots with a little time you can spin the boat and park on the starboard side.
    DFTR Josh
    Supra/Moomba
    www.marine-products.com (Discount Code: DFTR-1)

Yep, it's hard! A skill you'll be proud of once you get it! I certainly take pride in maneuvering in tight spaces! my last 22' boat was much more responsive to prop steer than my Craz, so there is definitely some learning going on for me too, but after spending a hundred or so hours at the helm of an inboard boat every year for the last 20 (of my 33) years, I've almost got it, LOL!

My advice, keep calm, and always have a plan B - a path to bail out. understand what the boat is going to do if you have to mash on the brakes (reverse). Don't be afraid to bail out. When you get it right at a crowded dock, you get to step off of your badass machine like a rockstar!
    2018 Moomba Craz | Autowake 2.0, Zero-Off, G6 Pumps | Captain Blue/Dark Graphite/Silver Flake | Enzos + Lead

Well, sometimes it's too shallow to park backwards. I like to come in nose first at a very small angle and get someone on the dock. Toss a stern line to them and pull the aft end in. Gotta be careful cuz as soon as you hit reverse the aft will start moving right and away from the dock.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by korey View Post
    When you get it right at a crowded dock, you get to step off of your badass machine like a rockstar!
    You mean like this?

https://youtu.be/9qHdPhkSSNQ
    2019 Supra SL450

Something like that!
    2018 Moomba Craz | Autowake 2.0, Zero-Off, G6 Pumps | Captain Blue/Dark Graphite/Silver Flake | Enzos + Lead