Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by jcornell26 View Post
    Are these the ones you are referring to?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Yes. Although, when suggesting, I did think they would be released closer to your budget.

I definitely second the 5 chl amp route as a nice upgrade but do think you would appreciate the extra size of a larger tower speaker in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Are those basically a cross of a HLCD and Coaxil?

2021 Moomba Mondo

Lol, if you believe everything you read in this thread.

My apologies, I did not see that it said coaxial speaker in the ad. I was "yesing" to MLA comment about the kicker 9" and 11" HLCD.

Since you mentioned wake projection, id steer towards HLCD.

2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    Lol, if you believe everything you read in this thread.

My apologies, I did not see that it said coaxial speaker in the ad. I was "yesing" to MLA comment about the kicker 9" and 11" HLCD.

Since you mentioned wake projection, id steer towards HLCD.

Actually, I think the kicker has them labeled incorrectly on their page. The speakers in that pic are definitely HLCD's, a long with the description at the very bottom, but say Coaxil

Check it out:
    https://www.kicker.com/kmtc-9-inch-4...l-tower-system

Think that is where the confusion lies.

2021 Moomba Mondo

The KMTC9 IS an HLCD, compared to a traditional tweeter coaxial such as the KMTC8 https://www.kicker.com/kmtc-8-inch-coaxial-tower-system

For wake range, go with an an HLCD and solid power. The KMS67 will get the job done and easily fit the budget. A larger HLCD like the KMTC9 will give you better sound quality close in for those surf and party cove times. That does not mean the KMS67 sounds "bad" its just the larger speaker offers better balance with the strong output of the compression driver.

Quote Originally Posted by jcornell26 View Post
    Actually, I think the kicker has them labeled incorrectly on their page. The speakers in that pic are definitely HLCD's, a long with the description at the very bottom, but say Coaxil

Check it out:
    https://www.kicker.com/kmtc-9-inch-4...l-tower-system

Think that is where the confusion lies.

ACTUALLY......

The definition of coaxial is one where two "things" are mounted in such a manner that they share the same axial alignment. Sort like cohabitation is where two people share a house, and when two things are co-linear they exist on the same shared line. For a coaxial speaker one of the transducers is mounted in the center, or on the center line of the other.

"Coaxial Speaker"does not imply the type of transducers, it only talks to the mounting of one of the transducers with respect to the other. The KMTC9 and KMTC11 use coaxially mounted HLCD high frequency drivers in front of the direct-radiating midranfge drivers. With the KMS674 the HLCD is not coaxially mounted. Wetsounds Rev series tower speakers are also coaxial, FYI.

If you dig around on-line enough you can even find examples of coaxial horns where a high-frequency horn is mounted coaxially within a midrange horn. Then the bass cabinet is found below the coaxial horns. Here is an example:

horns.jpg

Yeah, so as an industry we have commonly referred to the speakers that have a midrange driver behind a dome tweeter as a coax, but the truth is, the Kicker website is still correct at the moment since the KMTC9 and KMTC11 are comprised of a midrange/midbass driver with a coaxial HLCD high frequency transducer. Despite that I can see the confusion so I will work with our web team to make this more clear... Thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks for letting me ramble...

Have a good weekend everyone

Phil
    Kicker
    Last edited by philwsailz; 05-18-2018 at 04:18 PM.