Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    Did you add a second Ballast king pump per bag? So you have two pumps per bag, one puppy and one king?

From the specs I'm planning just to replace the puppies with ballast king, the draw is only 19 amps, so probably 25 amp on startup.
    Ahh...didn't see the previous post...Nice..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by Headric56 View Post
    Hey I do have some picks will upload them from my PC later. I ran britax fully sealed 40 amp relays with bussman ignition rated 25 amp ato fuses. I ran new supply from the starter motor to a 80 amp ignition protected C/B. I used approx 10mm2 automotive cable. Then from the relay modules to the pumps i used 5mm twin automotive cable. The ground is also 10mm2 automotive cable. The ballast kings seem to be nearly as quick as 2 x puppies.
    Hi Headric56,

Were you able to keep the use of the factory dash switches and fill timers with your new setup? The guys at Wakemakers didn’t know if that was possible. Seemed to think the timers wouldn’t recognize the ballast king pumps. I would have thought it was possible to do by increasing the wire gauges appropriately. I wouldn’t have thought that the timers were so sophisticated as to be monitoring current draw.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by moparsigfan View Post
    Hi Headric56,

Were you able to keep the use of the factory dash switches and fill timers with your new setup? The guys at Wakemakers didn’t know if that was possible. Seemed to think the timers wouldn’t recognize the ballast king pumps. I would have thought it was possible to do by increasing the wire gauges appropriately. I wouldn’t have thought that the timers were so sophisticated as to be monitoring current draw.

Thanks

The switches on the dash are just timers, the magic happens with the relay. The timers just turn the relays on/off. The puppies use a 15amp fuse? The kings need 19amp, you'd at least need to upgrade the fuse and check the wire size. My plan is just to swap pumps to the faster pump too.
    Last edited by parrothd; 10-27-2018 at 09:59 AM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    The switches on the dash are just timers, the magic happens with the relay. The timers just turn the relays on/off. The puppies use a 15amp fuse? The kings need 19amp, you'd at least need to upgrade the fuse and check the wire size. My plan is just to swap pumps to the faster pump too.
    My setup uses the standard switches and the factory timers. The ballast king pulls to much current for the PDM and they do not work. That is why the relay modules are required. That side is pretty much covered by the previous posts in this thread.

Because I have upgraded the size of the rear sacks with probably over winter install another pump per bag on the rear because they are a few minutes slower than the standard center sack
    Last edited by Headric56; 10-27-2018 at 05:18 PM.

I'll be interested in upgrading to the ballast kings at some point in the future as a useful mod. I was curious and actually found it hard to get flowrate comparisons of the Jabsco puppy vs. the ballast king on just wakemakers or Amazon. After digging a little online I came up with 9 GPM for the puppy vs. 16 GPM for the ballast king. So, there should be some good payback there in fill time. But, still about a $1K mod for just material when you consider wiring, fuses, etc.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

I mentioned the idea of adding another pump per bag to my service guy the other day. His response was that if I did that, I would have to go with a bigger alternator. I backed away slowly, pointed behind him and yelled SQUIRREL!
    2002 Supra Santera (SOLD)
    2017 Moomba Mojo Pro Vivid Orange
    (1595lb wakemakers in the lockers)

Default Adding dual pumps per bag

Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    I mentioned the idea of adding another pump per bag to my service guy the other day. His response was that if I did that, I would have to go with a bigger alternator. I backed away slowly, pointed behind him and yelled SQUIRREL!
    Hrmmmm, sounds like a service advisor who doesn’t want the work.

Even if you needed a bigger alternator, and I doubt it, add a bigger alternator, simple bolt on.

I have not looked but imagine a ford alternator is maybe $150-$200.

Rockauto has a 200amp for the 6.2l F250’s for $146.

Last edited by larry_arizona; 12-23-2018 at 03:00 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I thought it was odd as well. I am kind of on the fence still though about wether or not I need to fill faster. The lake we usually ride on has an 8 mph limit until out of the bay, which usually takes about 10 minutes so the bags are over half full. My wife and son are now ropeless so we really only fill once a day. Maybe the money would be better spent on a foil.

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Hrmmmm, sounds like a service advisor who doesn’t want the work.

Even if you needed a bigger alternator, and I doubt it, add a bigger alternator, simple bolt on.

I have not looked but imagine a ford alternator is maybe $150-$200.

Rockauto has a 200amp for the 6.2l F250’s for $146.

2002 Supra Santera (SOLD)
    2017 Moomba Mojo Pro Vivid Orange
    (1595lb wakemakers in the lockers)

Just a thought, but you could install the Johnson controls ballast pumps in place of the Jabsco Ballast Puppies. I think the puppies are 720 gph and you can install the 810 gph Johnson's with no additional wiring. The only time I have seen you have to run relays and wiring are for the ballast Kings. You could go with the Johnson when it is time to do your impellers, then sell the puppies to offset your cost and come out close to even on the upgrade.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

the real world flow difference between the johnson ultra ballast and jabsco ballast puppy is measured in seconds.