Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ahh.. My bad, thanks!
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

I have been thinking a little more about how I would have to wire this up. I was hoping I could just leave the existing 3 pumps alone and tap into the PDM to control relays for the 3 new pumps but the more I look at it I don't think that will work. I think we would have to switch all 6 pumps to relays and use the current +/- motor output from the PDM to open and close all of the relays. Attached is a sketched out wiring diagram. You guys see any holes in that plan? I think it will work but still trying to decide if I want to give it a shot.

Ballast Wiring Diagram.jpg
    2015 Mojo with autoflow

Quote Originally Posted by cpropes2005 View Post
    I have been thinking a little more about how I would have to wire this up. I was hoping I could just leave the existing 3 pumps alone and tap into the PDM to control relays for the 3 new pumps but the more I look at it I don't think that will work. I think we would have to switch all 6 pumps to relays and use the current +/- motor output from the PDM to open and close all of the relays. Attached is a sketched out wiring diagram. You guys see any holes in that plan? I think it will work but still trying to decide if I want to give it a shot.

Ballast Wiring Diagram.jpg
    I see what you're trying to do... have the PDM trigger relays for the two pumps. However, I wonder if the PDM is already designed to power a single pump, and you're just using the outputs of the PDM before you get to the OEM pump to trigger a relay, couldn't you just skip the 2nd relay? It seems like it'd be redundant. I mean, it's not going to hurt anything per se, but it seems like you could go simpler and have the PDM to pump 1 and then simply tap that line in between the pump and PDM to trigger a single relay for the pump you're adding....

Because really you're just looking for a + to trigger that 2nd relay...

Those are my thoughts.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

If using SPDT relays you have to have two of them for a reversible pump in order to be able to change the polarity for fill/empty. With that said my original thought was the same as yours, just leave the existing pump alone and tap the power out of the PDM to energize the relays of the second pump. My concern was that if I just use the power out of the pdm to energize the relays without running dedicated grounds back to the battery I think the relays would be energized at all times regardless of the polarity coming from the pdm. IfI ran the grounds and left the original motor hooked up I think it might short the circuit. The easiest thing would be just to tap the power leads from the switch before the pdm to control the new relays but then the new pumps wouldn't have timer control.

I think it is all doable but I also think I am talking myself out of it. Maybe I will just go with plan B at the 2019 boat show.
    2015 Mojo with autoflow

I get ya now. Sure, adding that 2nd relay now makes more sense. And no biggie on a $10 relay! It's really just the price of the pump and the time involved in basically making your own relay module. If I had the money and time to burn on the project, I'd do it for sure. Just take your time and get the wiring right from the start!
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I think cost would be less than $1000 all in which would be worth it for me to have faster ballast but yeah I agree time to work on it is the biggest issue. Boat would be down for at least a couple weeks since I would only have an hour or two here and there to work on it. Would be a good winter project but not something I really want to start in the middle of summer.
    2015 Mojo with autoflow

I have a max with g3 ballast. I just completed upgrading that system. Put 2 x ballast kings on the rear (1 per bag) and 2 x puppies on the front bag. Made 2 x relay bases using the recommended relays and fuses. I also made the relay bases with extra relays if i decide to go to 2 x pumps per bag on the rear down the track. Also plumbed in 2 x 400 lbs bags under the center seats. Should be epic on the water ����

Quote Originally Posted by Headric56 View Post
    I have a max with g3 ballast. I just completed upgrading that system. Put 2 x ballast kings on the rear (1 per bag) and 2 x puppies on the front bag. Made 2 x relay bases using the recommended relays and fuses. I also made the relay bases with extra relays if i decide to go to 2 x pumps per bag on the rear down the track. Also plumbed in 2 x 400 lbs bags under the center seats. Should be epic on the water ����
    Hi Headric56
    Do you have any shots of your upgraded setup? Also, what were the recommended relays and fuses for the Ballast Kings? Did you upsize the power and ground wires to the pumps? I’m not sure I want to extra pumps but moving to the Ballast Kings seems more reasonable approach.
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Moomba Craz

Default G6 upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by moparsigfan View Post
    Hi Headric56
    Do you have any shots of your upgraded setup? Also, what were the recommended relays and fuses for the Ballast Kings? Did you upsize the power and ground wires to the pumps? IÂ’m not sure I want to extra pumps but moving to the Ballast Kings seems more reasonable approach.
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey I do have some picks will upload them from my PC later. I ran britax fully sealed 40 amp relays with bussman ignition rated 25 amp ato fuses. I ran new supply from the starter motor to a 80 amp ignition protected C/B. I used approx 10mm2 automotive cable. Then from the relay modules to the pumps i used 5mm twin automotive cable. The ground is also 10mm2 automotive cable. The ballast kings seem to be nearly as quick as 2 x puppies.

Quote Originally Posted by Headric56 View Post
    Hey I do have some picks will upload them from my PC later. I ran britax fully sealed 40 amp relays with bussman ignition rated 25 amp ato fuses. I ran new supply from the starter motor to a 80 amp ignition protected C/B. I used approx 10mm2 automotive cable. Then from the relay modules to the pumps i used 5mm twin automotive cable. The ground is also 10mm2 automotive cable. The ballast kings seem to be nearly as quick as 2 x puppies.

Did you add a second Ballast king pump per bag? So you have two pumps per bag, one puppy and one king?

From the specs I'm planning just to replace the puppies with ballast king, the draw is only 19 amps, so probably 25 amp on startup.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead