Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Quick temperature fluctuation

I finally got the boat out and seeing a couple of things not making sense on temperature.

1. The water temp is 54 degrees and I am seeing the gauge at the normal 179 degrees. It seems a bit high with water that cold but maybe ok?

2. The thing that is worrying me a bit is it will drop down 20 degrees from that 179 to about 159 in about 5 seconds. Is it possible for the temp to drop 20 degrees in 5 seconds? It will stay at 159 then go back up again whenever it feels like it. All of this while not changing what the boat is doing.

Any ideas what might be going on? Am I looking at a real problem with the motor or is it something else like a sender or gauge etc.?
    Everything seems to be clear and water is moving. It's not overheating but it is strange.

2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

I could be wrong as I have never had my boat in that cold of water, but it sounds like your thermostat is opening - introducing the cold water to the system and lowering the engine temp. Once the temp lowers the thermostat will close and repeat the cycle.

Could be. I have no idea when it was last changed if ever. I do have a new one so I will give that a shot in a couple of weeks.
    Welcome to the forum BTW! You're in Minnesota and haven't had it in cold water?
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    1,180 in front
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Thanks for the welcome - I just bought my first boat last August-2004 Supra Launch SS- so I haven't had the opportunity for cold water yet. Already wishing I would have held out for a v-drive. Mine was spotless with reasonable hours and a very good price - Oh well it is still fun and runs great.

I could be totally off base on my response now that I re-read your post. The way I was thinking the engine gets to 180 - thermostat opens - introduces cold water to the system - temp drops quickly due to low lake temp - thermostat closes - cycle repeats. My thermostat is 160 deg so that might void my theory... I'm sure someone who ACTUALLY knows what they are talking about will chime in.
    2004 Supra Launch SS

Quote Originally Posted by 5:00 View Post
    1. The water temp is 54 degrees and I am seeing the gauge at the normal 179 degrees. It seems a bit high with water that cold but maybe ok?
    2. The thing that is worrying me a bit is it will drop down 20 degrees from that 179 to about 159 in about 5 seconds. Is it possible for the temp to drop 20 degrees in 5 seconds? It will stay at 159 then go back up again whenever it feels like it. All of this while not changing what the boat is doing.

Any ideas what might be going on?
    It's not overheating but it is strange.
    Your gauge and thermostat are working perfectly. The temperature of the water will not change the normal operating temp of the motor. The thermostat will open when it needs to in order to cool the engine. With water very cold you will see a quick change in the temp (especially if the sensor is in an area that picks up the temp from coolant as it is introduced into the engine. After a drop you will see the temp slowly climb as the thermostat closes again. Then it opens again and you see a repeat.

It is not nearly as dramatic on a hot day when the thermostat mostly stays open and the water temp is not so cold.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I'd keep an eye on the temp gauge early in the season if I were you. When is the last time the thermostat was replaced? Mine was a bit flaky at the start of one year, bouncing up and down and then started climbing beyond 200. Time for a new one. $25 is cheap insurance.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    Your gauge and thermostat are working perfectly. The temperature of the water will not change the normal operating temp of the motor. The thermostat will open when it needs to in order to cool the engine. With water very cold you will see a quick change in the temp (especially if the sensor is in an area that picks up the temp from coolant as it is introduced into the engine. After a drop you will see the temp slowly climb as the thermostat closes again. Then it opens again and you see a repeat.

It is not nearly as dramatic on a hot day when the thermostat mostly stays open and the water temp is not so cold.
    That is about what it is doing. It is much faster for the temperature drop than it is to go back up. The cycle is unpredictable at least from what I can tell. I have NEVER had it out in water this cold. i am usually working on it out of the water until late May so I haven't experienced this. I got a new thermostat and gasket last summer but didn't get it installed. Any idea what if any sealant is needed?
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    1,180 in front
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by bergermaister View Post
    I'd keep an eye on the temp gauge early in the season if I were you. When is the last time the thermostat was replaced? Mine was a bit flaky at the start of one year, bouncing up and down and then started climbing beyond 200. Time for a new one. $25 is cheap insurance.
    I have had it for almost 5 seasons and never replaced it. I have no idea if it was ever replaced. I have a new thermostat and gasket sitting at the lake waiting for me. Any idea what sealant I need to use?
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    1,180 in front
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by jgunderson01 View Post
    Thanks for the welcome - I just bought my first boat last August-2004 Supra Launch SS- so I haven't had the opportunity for cold water yet. Already wishing I would have held out for a v-drive. Mine was spotless with reasonable hours and a very good price - Oh well it is still fun and runs great.

I could be totally off base on my response now that I re-read your post. The way I was thinking the engine gets to 180 - thermostat opens - introduces cold water to the system - temp drops quickly due to low lake temp - thermostat closes - cycle repeats. My thermostat is 160 deg so that might void my theory... I'm sure someone who ACTUALLY knows what they are talking about will chime in.
    Looks like others agree with what you said. That could be it. I have never had it in water nearly this cold and not sure what to experience. I put about 30 minutes on it that day and it seems to be good otherwise. Time to change the thermostat either way.

Glad to hear you are all geared up. You will have to get it in the water soon! Welcome to the family.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    1,180 in front
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by 5:00 View Post
    I have had it for almost 5 seasons and never replaced it. I have no idea if it was ever replaced. I have a new thermostat and gasket sitting at the lake waiting for me. Any idea what sealant I need to use?
    I replaced my thermostat and sending unit last fall and did not need to add any sealant. I just replaced the gasket and it did not leak a drop the rest of the season.
    2004 Supra Launch SS