Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Prop change

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Clever homemade tool, I really like it. Well done.

But honestly you have easily an hour or two of labor into that I am sure, plus the actual c clamp cost.

$90 pro tool is not that expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nope, about 20 mins. I made the new one yesterday with the 4" clamp while I was waiting for two 10 lb lead ingots to melt.

It's just cutting the piece of angle iron, drilling the 1-1/8" hole and cutting it to a slot, cut the lower end off the c clamp, then weld the 2 pieces together. The hole takes the longest of all that. I didn't cut off the t-handle end and weld the nut on, I want to try it without doing that first.

I have maybe $5 in this. I will have to go buy a couple more clamps to replace these though.
    2019 Supra SL450

Then for sure you got a winner to market.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Then for sure you got a winner to market.

I'm not doing it to sell, it's just satisfying to make a tool quickly and cheaply rather than spending a lot of money on someone else's tool. Plus it's not exactly a pro job. It'll work for me.
    2019 Supra SL450

Anyone ever have a prop puller pop off and fall into the water? The first time I used one it happened. Luckily it was in 4ft. of clear water with a sandy bottom. I tie a string on it now and tie it off. We are in more murky water with sediment.
    Maybe I should position it on the top of the prop? It hasn't happened since.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by 5:00 View Post
    Anyone ever have a prop puller pop off and fall into the water? The first time I used one it happened. Luckily it was in 4ft. of clear water with a sandy bottom. I tie a string on it now and tie it off. We are in more murky water with sediment.
    Maybe I should position it on the top of the prop? It hasn't happened since.
    Lol! I can’t recall ever changing a prop with the boat still in the water. That sounds difficult.

2007 XLV Gravity Games Edition
    340HP CAT/ETX
    ACME 1235 / Fresh Air Exhaust
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform
    Slingshot Hooke, Doomswell Neo, Phase 5 Hammerhead, Parker Surfcraft Phantom

I carry spare parts also in case I lose one of those parts in the water. They are harder to find. I realized after all these years that the DD or the V drive for that matter is much different than a I/O as changing out a dinged prop on an I/O will probably get you back running where you left off whereas the DD and V drives if you ding a prop you probably have other components damaged as well so a prop change may not do a whole lot compared to the work to change it out. I'm also superstitious so the spare prop and extra parts stay in the boat.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD