Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fusion HU dual zone control

I have a 2017 Craz with the 6 speaker/Kicker 250.4 amp factory upgrade. I’m looking to add another amp to push a pair of tower speakers and a sub. I have the Fusion RA205 head unit and my question has to do with the dual zone control with this HU.

There are only 2 pairs of RCA preamp outs from this head unit (according to the manual), one regular and the other being a sub out. Both of these are controlled by zone 1. The only zone 2 output is through the speaker wire outs.

So do I have to have a line converter (speaker wire to RCAs), or have an amp that receives speaker wire to use the dual zones? How are these setup from the factory for those that get the Tower/Sub upgrade?

I know you can buy EQ for zone controls but I would really just like to keep it simple and use the one built into the HU if possible…thanks in advance for any advice!

I initially had the same questions on my 2016 Mojo with same Fusion HU. After learning more, I went away from trying to use the HU for zone control. My factory setup was without sub, so the zones 1 and 2 were divided between in boats and tower. I think if you want to use it, you are correct in searching for an amp that takes the speaker wire inputs. I just ended up going with an Exile ZLD.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

Don’t bother trying to use hi level speaker outputs into an amp, just to try and use the HU zone control. It’s going to sound like shit, especially for that channel. Plus it’s not quick to go in and adjust the towers up and down if you try that. Don’t even waste your time!
    Get a separate zone controller. I use a Kicker ZMRLC to control the in boats and towers, and then the plug in boost knob on the 800.5 for sub control. Mounted all three knobs under the helm so I can adjust the towers sub and inboats up and down as I wish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    Don’t bother trying to use hi level speaker outputs into an amp, just to try and use the HU zone control. It’s going to sound like shit, especially for that channel. Plus it’s not quick to go in and adjust the towers up and down if you try that. Don’t even waste your time!
    Get a separate zone controller. I use a Kicker ZMRLC to control the in boats and towers, and then the plug in boost knob on the 800.5 for sub control. Mounted all three knobs under the helm so I can adjust the towers sub and inboats up and down as I wish.

Yeah, I ended up with the same opinions as Stazi from most of the informed folks on here. Get the separate EQ / zone control
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    FAE

Quote Originally Posted by BigOrange View Post
    I initially had the same questions on my 2016 Mojo with same Fusion HU. After learning more, I went away from trying to use the HU for zone control. My factory setup was without sub, so the zones 1 and 2 were divided between in boats and tower. I think if you want to use it, you are correct in searching for an amp that takes the speaker wire inputs. I just ended up going with an Exile ZLD.
    So was your factory setup using speaker wire into the amp to accomplish the dual zones, and not using the RCA preamp outs?

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post

I had that same kicker setup on my last boat and loved it. Was just trying to get out cheaper this time by looking at Rockville amps and using the HU zone controls...I know you get what you pay for tho.

Quote Originally Posted by jared24 View Post
    So was your factory setup using speaker wire into the amp to accomplish the dual zones, and not using the RCA preamp outs?
    The factory setup had one amp (kicker 200.2) running the towers and the in boats (no bow) running off of the HU only. I went with Exile amps -- the 30.2 driving the towers and the Javelin for the in boats plus sub.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    FAE

I added bow speakers so now I have a separate zone control for sub, towers, and all in-boats. Some folks looking for more advanced options also put the bows on a separate zone but that would have been more complicated.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    FAE

Yes, you will need to wire in a speaker level to RCA, and have speaker driven by external amp, in order to the get true dual zone. With a quality converter and amp, you will not have a negative impact on sound quality, in my experience.

https://www.kicker.com/speaker-wire-rca-converter

What MLA said works. Kicker and I think Fusion both make the adapter for it. You can go a step further and add the base control knob so you don't have to go through the menus to separate that out. I love having the zone control on the Fusion. And yes, it all has to go through your amps with RCA for the signal.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold