Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question How long to break in before you can surf?

I recently purchased a new 2017 Helix. My sales guy went over the necessary break in period with me and how it was important to slowly break in the motor. He said something about not filling the ballast and putting a lot of strain on the motor. I've read the owners manual and haven't been able to locate anything that tells when it's safe to use ballast and start surfing. Sorry for the newb question but this is my first inboard, I'm still learning the ins and outs,and I want to make sure I do the right thing for the motor long term.
    2017 Moomba Helix
    Flow 2.0
    AutoWake
    Surf Edition
    WM Rears 1200s
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    Fat Sac 400s (Midship compartments)
    LeadWake bags

Quote Originally Posted by LAwake View Post
    I recently purchased a new 2017 Helix. My sales guy went over the necessary break in period with me and how it was important to slowly break in the motor. He said something about not filling the ballast and putting a lot of strain on the motor. I've read the owners manual and haven't been able to locate anything that tells when it's safe to use ballast and start surfing. Sorry for the newb question but this is my first inboard, I'm still learning the ins and outs,and I want to make sure I do the right thing for the motor long term.
    I read 10hrs in the Indmar manual but wasn’t sure if that was a bit overkill I would love to know what everyone else has done and results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dealer said 6 hours to break in before putting the motor to work, but others here may know better
    '08 Mobius LS. Sold
    '18 Craz "TypeO"
    REV10's, Revo6 xss, Kicker10, Kicker 12 CompR, various LED's

I did 20 and the service at 20 before I surfed, as it’s the hardest on the engine due to the large amount of ballast etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

My dealer pulled a wakeboard comp with mine as a demo before it was sold to me. Can’t imagine they were gentle on it.

A good friend is a Tige dealer and he runs new ones out of the box with surf weight.

Who knows what the actual best practice is?

I've been waffling on this, and it's about to get real since my boat delivers next week! I've always subscribed to the"break 'em in the way you plan to use 'em" philosophy, but NO manufacturer is going to put that in their manual. I've done both of my F150's that way and and no problems with a combined mileage of 100k hard towing miles! Modern engines are magical things! I talked to my buddy at a moomba dealer and he said, "I tell my customers 6-10 hours, but we don't usually get that long with the boats, so completely ignore that when we get a new boat out."

Manual says 10 hours of break in and there are certain rpm limitations as well. For example don’t exceed 2000 rpm for the first two hours, 3,000 rpm for the next 2 hours, then like 4,000 for the remaining break in period. You are also supposed to vary engine speed while drive so you don’t just run the same rpm the whole time

David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

My 1st surf boat was a 2016 Mojo, when I boat it there was 3 hours on it. The dealer took us out for a demo on it and loaded the ballast to show what the wave looked like. Fast forward to the day I went in to sign the paperwork...on the final demo they told me to bring my surf wave so they can show me and my wife how to set everything up. We were out for 2 hours on that final demo we both surfed and stayed out on the lake and surfed the rest of the day...never looked back.

I say fill that puppy up and surf the s--t out of it.
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    Manual says 10 hours of break in and there are certain rpm limitations as well. For example don’t exceed 2000 rpm for the first two hours, 3,000 rpm for the next 2 hours, then like 4,000 for the remaining break in period. You are also supposed to vary engine speed while drive so you don’t just run the same rpm the whole time

4 to 5 hours like David is saying gets past all the rpm requirements. I have done this strategy several times and no problems. And normally your boat will have an hour on it already for dealer prep at full ballast which most likely broke rpm rules!

2017 Supra SA

Don't forget, these are great wakeboard boats!!
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold