Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It shouldn’t matter, a bad cell is a bad cell and it will show up immediately as soon as the load starts and the battery drops to sub 9v. If the battery is weak, it will recommend to charge and retest. But they shouldn’t test the battery if it’s below 12v at rest anyway. Gotta watch those high school parts counter kids! Lol
    The battery test machines they have nowadays are pretty slick. There no reason to grab your voltmeter anymore. Just drop the batts off and wait.
    Last edited by Broke Pilot; 04-25-2018 at 09:37 PM.
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

a bad cell is a bad cell and it will show up immediately as soon as the load starts
    A bad cell is detectable without a load test, just need simple volt meter and do not have to haul batteries to the parts store. A low battery can also be determined without ever removing a battery and hauling to the parts store.

Yes, the inductance testers are great, but my meter tells me with 99% certainty without ever removing or unhooking a battery. I can also test the alternator and all of the involved cables, without hauling anything to the auto parts store yet.

I bet you have some way better tools than the average joe though! Lmao
    Overkill is underrated

2017 Supra SA 400

Brokepilot, the tools I have and use are irrelevant. What is relevant, helping the OP isolate his problem is an efficient and logical manor. I simply disagree that hauling 80 lbs of battery to the auto past store, is step 1. Is that OK with you?

Dude, you need to chill. Everyone is here to help, not just you.
    We have to assume that most people on here aren’t as mechanically inclined as some, or have a lot of fun tools sitting around, unless they say otherwise.
    So far I haven’t heard the OP say ‘oh, let me go grab my multimeter and try it, good call...’ so yea, I’m trying to help in the most logical manner for 99% of people.
    what I said to you about tools was a light hearted joke, quit taking shit so personal.
    This is a boat forum for people to have fun and learn from one another. We’re not curing cancer on here.
    Overkill is underrated

2017 Supra SA 400

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    A bad cell is detectable without a load test, just need simple volt meter and do not have to haul batteries to the parts store. A low battery can also be determined without ever removing a battery and hauling to the parts store.

Yes, the inductance testers are great, but my meter tells me with 99% certainty without ever removing or unhooking a battery. I can also test the alternator and all of the involved cables, without hauling anything to the auto parts store yet.
    Maybe explain how you would do that? Not everyone knows.
    2019 Supra SL450

The “Autowake Questions” thread has some good discussion about what to run your battery switch at. Goose states that it there is a bit of controversy even within Skiers Choice in what to tell the consumer. They error on the side of caution in the manuals. It is some good reading, starts around the 95th post.

Goose basically states to run on 1+2 unless you are stopped and running stereo or whatever for a while. If doing that, then switch to 1 or 2 to save the other one just in case.

I’m a newbie, what he said makes total sense to me.

As far as your issue, it does sound like you have a weak battery or two, or maybe alternator.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 12 volt battery is typically 12.8 fully charged there abouts. They have 6 cells, so each cell is roughly 2.2V. A dead cell will not ever charge above 10.7 give or take a tenth of a volt. So, a basic #25 meter from harbor freight, home improvement store or auto parts store, can tell us this.

We can go further and test the alternator output all the way from the alt to the end components

A basic meter can also sniff out bad cables or connections when doing a voltage drop test.

A simple meter and some time can get us down to pretty certain we have a bad battery or bad alternator. Then at that point, have those components tested individually a more advanced method.

Nothing above is exotic or requires expensive fancy equipment. It does not require an advanced degree of 12V knowledge. Its probably all out there on google.

Work smart, not hard.

What’s the update RC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by russellsmojo View Post
    What’s the update RC?
    I wish I had one Russell but I've been hemmed up all week with work. I might pull it out of storage and take a closer look this afternoon.

MLA & Broke Pilot....[flame suit on], I just want to say I appreciate both of y'alls input, it's obvious y'all are both very passionate about this subject matter
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX