Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Batteries for Upgraded Stereo

The weak link in my current setup are the dual factory batteries...

You guys that are running 2,500+ Watts in audio, what are y'all running in terms of battery setups? Is there benefit from car audio specific batteries?

In addition to extra batteries, is anyone running a digital capacitor?
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

#saynotocapacitors

Start with how your current batteries are the weak link? This gives you a bass line to start from. If you are wanting to build a house bank for playing while on the hook, you need to get a more realistic idea of what the potential current draw is. Then you need to decide how long you want the system to play.

I run 2 east penn manufacturing Duracell AGM'S on position 2 and have a third wet cell battery isolated on my switch (position 1) I call the spare tire. 2 years into it with plenty of beach playing I've yet to use the spare tire. My on board charger keeps everything 100, so I've never even switched to 1. 4 amps 3400 watts of conservative rated power.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    -Jake

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    #saynotocapacitors

Start with how your current batteries are the weak link? This gives you a bass line to start from. If you are wanting to build a house bank for playing while on the hook, you need to get a more realistic idea of what the potential current draw is. Then you need to decide how long you want the system to play.
    So I went out this past weekend and got stranded....this was time mostly spent running. There may have been 10-15 mins where the motor was off but for the most part, the engine was running. Boat showed 14V when the day started and showed 12V near the end of the day when it wouldn't crank.

I'd like to be able to have 60-90 mins of playing time on battery alone, but still make it to the dock at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    This gives you a bass line to start from.
    I get it. "Bass line". Too funny from an audio guy.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RC_Hinojosa View Post
    So I went out this past weekend and got stranded....this was time mostly spent running. There may have been 10-15 mins where the motor was off but for the most part, the engine was running. Boat showed 14V when the day started and showed 12V near the end of the day when it wouldn't crank.

I'd like to be able to have 60-90 mins of playing time on battery alone, but still make it to the dock at the end of the day.

Stranded, how did that happen with dual batteries? Did you have it on 1 and 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by russellsmojo View Post
    Did you have it on 1 and 2?
    Yep, and I've never run it on 1+2 before, however the installer recommended running that position to get the most out of the amps. Hindsight being 20/20, the alternator couldn't keep both charged and I should've known better.

Yep, and I've never run it on 1+2 before, however the installer recommended running that position to get the most out of the amps. Hindsight being 20/20, the alternator couldn't keep both charged and I should've known better.
    Gee thanks installer! That would be a good start to the bad suggestion thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Supra SA

I think you need to check something else out in you system. There was a thread on here sometime last year where the Indmar and/or SC guys piped in and stated that although recommendations in the past was to run off 1 bat while keeping the other in reserve, that they were revising manufacturer's guidelines to recommend running on 1+2.

Now, maybe in your case your system draws enough amps that this logic breaks down.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

Sounds you have a battery, alternator or user error of the switch issue that I would resolve first. If the system is wired correctly and the switch is used in the most ideal manor, then you should never drain both banks, as thats the reason for having two isolated banks.

A single group-24 deep-cycle will get you 60-90, thats an easy task. Come back when you want 8-10 hours J/K.

So you operated the boat with the switch in 1+2 and maybe only 15 mins with the engine off? no single battery should be dead in that period, more less 2. Moving forward, I would change how I used the switch. 1 or 2 for anchor, never both.

I still think theres an issue and its not capacity of your batteries. Is that "2500+ watts" your system? Where did that number come from? AC audio wattage does not translate to DC amperage draw.