Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Trayson, That boat would look great in the downtown Portland waterfront! And you need up update your sig to reflect the new ride. lol
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxMojo View Post
    Trayson, That boat would look great in the downtown Portland waterfront! And you need up update your sig to reflect the new ride. lol
    I wish!!! I'll need another year or two.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Since you asked, I'll ride back in to the mix for this one. I am one of the co-founders/co-organizers of Southern Surfest. Each manufacturer is provided direction to set their respective boat(s) up to provide the optimal wave/results. Additionally, we work extremely hard to select participants that are not "brand ambassadors" and spend hours vetting the data to ensure that the results published provide an accurate assessment of the boats & boards. For 2017, the Malibu 24 MXZ took the top spot.
    Perfect. How was that Supra SE set up? That seems like important data. Well, same goes for all the boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand that you provide the direction to set them up optimally. But do they? And to that end, it would be very useful to have that information. The truth is that the manufacturers often aren’t the foremost authority on how to optimize boats. The user community is. Nobody fiddles with these things like owners do.

Ever taken a demo ride that was underwhelming only to find out the operator of the demo boat did not have the boat dialed, slammed, etc? I have. Actually, almost every demo ride I have been on. In fact, I would NEVER buy an SE based on the demo I had. It was poor.

All I offer is that your participants came up with a ranking order that doesn’t jive with several folks experiences. Which is fine, as that’s your prerogative as the event organizer and what your participants discovered. The error comes in interpreting those results as scientific, totally accurate, infallible, etc as some forum participants have done. If the data going into the results machine isn’t perfect, the results will reflect that.

Your event sounds awesome, however your rankings are extremely subjective by nature. In fact, ranking them at all invites bias. I would suspect that the actual values that came out of this were bunched close together. Every summary of the boats basically says “this boat is great.” And therefore compiling data on those “rankings” invites debate. Or error. Or both.

Again, your event sounds like an awesome way to try a bunch of things out. That’s awesome—especially on the surfboard side! Good for you guys. Keep up the charge!

Quote Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
    I understand that you provide the direction to set them up optimally. But do they? And to that end, it would be very useful to have that information. The truth is that the manufacturers often aren’t the foremost authority on how to optimize boats. The user community is. Nobody fiddles with these things like owners do.

Ever taken a demo ride that was underwhelming only to find out the operator of the demo boat did not have the boat dialed, slammed, etc? I have. Actually, almost every demo ride I have been on. In fact, I would NEVER buy an SE based on the demo I had. It was poor.

All I offer is that your participants came up with a ranking order that doesn’t jive with several folks experiences. Which is fine, as that’s your prerogative as the event organizer and what your participants discovered. The error comes in interpreting those results as scientific, totally accurate, infallible, etc as some forum participants have done. If the data going into the results machine isn’t perfect, the results will reflect that.

Your event sounds awesome, however your rankings are extremely subjective by nature. In fact, ranking them at all invites bias. I would suspect that the actual values that came out of this were bunched close together. Every summary of the boats basically says “this boat is great.” And therefore compiling data on those “rankings” invites debate. Or error. Or both.

Again, your event sounds like an awesome way to try a bunch of things out. That’s awesome—especially on the surfboard side! Good for you guys. Keep up the charge!

Based on my limited experience I'd be willing to bet a brand new PS board that if you put a SE up against a 24mxz and you start adding weight to the SE to get a better wave then the mxz you might find the SE at the bottom of the lake before it happens.

Hope to be proven wrong this summer.

I'd be careful discounting the results from SSF. Most folks that are there are representative of the most knowledgeable folks within their respective brands. Might hurt some feelings. Just sayin.
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by muehlcj View Post
    Based on my limited experience I'd be willing to bet a brand new PS board that if you put a SE up against a 24mxz and you start adding weight to the SE to get a better wave then the mxz you might find the SE at the bottom of the lake before it happens.

I'd be careful discounting the results from SSF. Most folks that are there are representative of the most knowledgeable folks within their respective brands. Might hurt some feelings. Just sayin.
    I am not discounting the event. I am saying the boats aren’t necessarily dialed just because someone is told to dial them.

Default Help! After 10 years with the Moomba leaning towards a new Axis A24

Also, I have not taken any exception to the 24MXZ being possibly great. I repeat: I have not surfed one. If I surf one, and it’s better, then I won’t necessarily be surprised. Hell I would buy one.

I do know that the same is not true for a T23, or extrapolated to a 23LSV as has been claimed earlier in the thread.

Also, I am simply stating that the results of the SSF aren’t scientific, and should not be used by anyone to claim superiority of anything over another. They’re compiled preferences. You—well originally jmvotto, I guess—are the one that chose to use them like data.

That’s all my friend. It’s all good, and it’s not wrong.

And for good measure I will state it again: the 24 MXZ very well may be the golden donut. I have heard it’s great, and would love to try one.

And really all I want to know is how were these boats set up? If we are gonna credit the rankings the setups have to be noted—as someone said earlier: you add 1000# to any boat the wave gets better. This is true, and in some boats more true than others.

Not even a brand pissing match as Trayson notes, I have no brand loyalty. I have had 3 in 3 years, and probably may have 4 within 5 years.
    Brands matter none to me.

Last edited by dakota4ce; 04-26-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Based on my limited experience I'd be willing to bet a brand new PS board
    Just don't bet the Texas Jam board, people need to enter the raffle for that one!
    2006 Supra 20 - Sold
    2006 Supra 24 Gravity Games - Sold
    2015 Supra SE450 - Sold

Dakota, you ate way off base as usual

The mojo pro was driven and set up by drew tinker son of pres Rick tinker and and Jon Allen Supra rep drove the SE.

Your Mb was the the bomb until you got an SE
    Not sure what scientific data you looking for buy 40 skilled riders with input is good enough for me.

All the boats throwgreat waves give up the ghost all preference Just don’t dirt other boats for your cause
    Ain’t happening here

You want to throw 24 to 25 ft boats in the mix you will cry.
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I understand that you provide the direction to set them up optimally. But do they?
    Why would they not? Additionally, the user community (aka SSF participants) are all avid surfers and provide input throughout the event. Extra ballast bags and lead were sitting on the dock for use should a boat need to be set up differently.

SSF isn't a "demo ride" event. The manufacturers & dealers that participate know this as most have been a part of the event for several years and recognize that the information from this event is spread across the industry.

We have 40 riders and the compilation of the results would clearly provide a more sound conclusion than "several folks experiences" and there is no "error" when the opinions of participants is collected.