Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boosting Airs

Default Boosting Airs

This year, I want to learn to get some air behind the boat. I have an older hull so the wave might not be comparable to the newer stuff but I think with the right technique I can still get the board out of the water. This has been an area that I have consistently failed at. I either don't get the tail of the board off of the wake or I fall. I'm looking for tips on how you guys that have nailed it (or have kids that have mastered it) approach this trick. I've been all over YouTube and I've only found a couple of videos that talk about it and they weren't really that helpful (as opposed to wakeboard technique videos that are all over the place). There has to be more too it than pump to build speed and ride up the face. Is it more of an Ollie off the top of the wake? I know you should bring your knees up. Maybe I'm trying to hit it like a wakeboard. Either way, any tips for getting off that wave?
    2007 XLV Gravity Games Edition
    340HP CAT/ETX
    ACME 1235 / Fresh Air Exhaust
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform
    Slingshot Hooke, Doomswell Neo, Phase 5 Hammerhead, Parker Surfcraft Phantom

OK. The only way to actually get better is to grab your checkbook and run out and get a new boat. Old boats will not work. You have to have the latest year model as a starting point. And, each year, you better upgrade to the newest model boat. Oh yea, don't forget that you have to get the newest model board and bindings as well. That is the only way to prO-gress to be a great rider.

One more thing. Nevermind watching videos like "the book" or going to a riders' school. They will only teach you old techniques that will hold you back. That kind of foundation just gets in the way of the big air you are after.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Thanks, that is helpful and constructive.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games Edition
    340HP CAT/ETX
    ACME 1235 / Fresh Air Exhaust
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform
    Slingshot Hooke, Doomswell Neo, Phase 5 Hammerhead, Parker Surfcraft Phantom

Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post
    This year, I want to learn to get some air behind the boat. I have an older hull so the wave might not be comparable to the newer stuff but I think with the right technique I can still get the board out of the water. This has been an area that I have consistently failed at. I either don't get the tail of the board off of the wake or I fall. I'm looking for tips on how you guys that have nailed it (or have kids that have mastered it) approach this trick. I've been all over YouTube and I've only found a couple of videos that talk about it and they weren't really that helpful (as opposed to wakeboard technique videos that are all over the place). There has to be more too it than pump to build speed and ride up the face. Is it more of an Ollie off the top of the wake? I know you should bring your knees up. Maybe I'm trying to hit it like a wakeboard. Either way, any tips for getting off that wave?
    It's most similar to a skateboard Ollie except you don't really need to slide your front foot up the board (but if you can/do great). Search for videos on that then practice that technique in the flats until you can get 6"-12" of air in just the flats. Then go slow. Don't worry about flying at the lip at mach 10 just ride up the face and do that same ollie off the lip. Keep practicing that technique. Getting knees and board higher each time. Once you have that down add speed to your approach.
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by muehlcj View Post
    It's most similar to a skateboard Ollie except you don't really need to slide your front foot up the board (but if you can/do great). Search for videos on that then practice that technique in the flats until you can get 6"-12" of air in just the flats. Then go slow. Don't worry about flying at the lip at mach 10 just ride up the face and do that same ollie off the lip. Keep practicing that technique. Getting knees and board higher each time. Once you have that down add speed to your approach.
    It's more about timing then sheer athletic ability. Don't force it just work on your technique and timing.
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

Same boat and setup as mine and I am able to clear the wake with a 60' rope. Others can do a lot better. That is with a few people in the boat and no ballast. Fill up some of that ballast, even out the wake on both sides and you will have a nice wake to jump.
    As far as videos, Kanes helpful comments above include The Book video series. It is old but the basics never change. Take a look at that over and over and practice.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Bindings and a 60' rope? Man, wakesurfing sure has changed
    2003 Outback Sold (went to Oklahoma)

2009 Outback V Sold (stayed in Florida)

Ed, thats what I was thinking. He's talking about catching air on a wake SURF board. Kaneboats fell right off the deep end with this post. Not very helpful or becoming of a super moderator. At the time of his response, maybe there was some liquid courage involved. Lol.

Hey guys! He posted his question in the "wakesurfing" section.

Poison, very few people are worth a dang on a surf board. The extent of their riding is drinking a beer, wear sunglasses and a hat, and have people take new profile pictures of them. This statement goes for most, not all.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Poison, to try to help. You have to build speed from the back of the wave, ride up the face, ollie pop and get the board turned back towards the boat past center and land on the down of the wave. Your board also makes a difference. Yeah, pros can do it on anything, but for most of us, we need a faster surf style board. Taking a lesson is never a bad idea either. It's the fastest way to progress.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxMojo View Post
    Poison, to try to help. You have to build speed from the back of the wave, ride up the face, ollie pop and get the board turned back towards the boat past center and land on the down of the wave. Your board also makes a difference. Yeah, pros can do it on anything, but for most of us, we need a faster surf style board. Taking a lesson is never a bad idea either. It's the fastest way to progress.
    This was helpful. Now if the lake would just thaw already
    Total newb asking here but why is the surf style board better for this than say a skim style?
    2002 Supra Santera (SOLD)
    2017 Moomba Mojo Pro Vivid Orange
    (1595lb wakemakers in the lockers)