Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 97 outback dd

Default 97 outback dd

I new to the forum and was wondering how much weight do most people use and I have a suckgate and the other thing I was wondering is if there’s too much weight will it buckle the middle where the prop shaft is thanks

Welcome to the forum!

Weight will be relative to the board you're riding and the weight of your surfer. On our boat, a 150lb rider on any board can surf ropeless with the stock rear 400lb tank plus a similarly sized passenger on the back bench. With me at 200lbs, there isn't enough push for me to go ropeless. However, a long board might help with that too.

Others have mentioned that on DD boat, 1000lbs rear and 500lbs front will do for any rider. At that point though you need to be very careful not to swamp the bow if there are any rollers.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

Good luck getting that much weight in a 97' I have the same boat and run 500 pound on both side of the motor and put another in the walk through (not full) great wave to wakeboard surf not so much
    Web.
    1997 Outback and stopped looking

I was planning on doing 2-800lb sacs and I have the suckgate so hopefully something and would a 800 be too much for walkthrough where the prop shaft is?

The prop shaft runs between the two main stringers. That's a very stout part of the boat. You're talking about putting it right across the floor correct?

The wakeshaper will really help a lot. Really helps to clean up the wake for better push.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

I admire someone than can pull this off. You have the freeboard of a bass boat so ballast is limited. It should work with an occasional wave into the boat so if you don't mind a wet floor then it will work out. I've had a few of those without ballast. The bilge pump works just fine in getting those rogue waves back where they belong. Hope it all goes well.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Again that's a lot to put in. Boat should be fine. Put the 2-800s in the middle equal to the back of drivers seat. As far as a 800 in the front it's all I can do to get a 500 partial filled there. As stated be ready for waves over the bow. Best of luck.

Send some picture of the 97. I love mine just not enough freeboard
    Web.
    1997 Outback and stopped looking

I had a 97 that we learned to surf on. I ran 800 where the back seats should be with a 400 on the surf side, that worked or you can move the 400 in the walkway between the driver and spotter. Both will work with a suckgate. Make sure you dont run into a surf boat on the water because you will get wet...

I just bought my 2003 Mobius LS. The believe the stock ballast is 400lb tank in the rear and a 325lb bag in the front locker. The previous owner threw in 2) 400lb bags. With 570lbs of people (my family of 4) and a small wakeplate we are able to surf fine. For me at 165, I use a larger 5'6" surfstyle board but I'm also inexperience at surfing and creating a good surf wake (still working on the speed and trim etc.). With 1300lbs of total ballast I have swamped the front a couple times but usually not a problem if I'm paying attendtion.
    Mckeddie- 2003 Mobius LS in Peoria, AZ