Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Just a quick update, FAE was really fast to send me out a new exhaust. They updated their install instructions and added a 3/4" wood block to the back to basically simulate a thicker transom and reduce the torque on the pipe. It has lock nuts on it so you can just screw the bolts directly into it. They also beefed up the pipe to hopefully stop it from cracking again. I have been quite impressed with their customer service.

I do think I am going to use 1" or 3/4" hdpe instead because I am not too fond of having exposed wood that would be potentially sitting in water back there.

Once I get the old one off I will take pics to see the difference.

It may be a week or so because over the weekend I was pulling the boat, looked back and one of the trailer wheels was smoking. The vault hub leaked all the oil out and it was on fire. I would put water on it and it would boil instantly it was so hot.

I was on a dangerous 2 lane road and they couldn't fit the boat and trailer on the tow truck with out a big risk of damaging it and after calling 3 or 4 tow companies the best solution was to get a landoll trailer which wouldn't be available until the next morning.

Already dark outside and on a bad road, I did the best thing I could think of and drove 5 mph back to the marina which was about 5 miles away.

No matter how slow I drove it still smoked and towards the end sparks where coming off it. Pulling into the parking lot the wheel fell off.

The spindle, rotor, caliber, and wheel is toast.

Today I learned how I could of jacked it up, removed the tire, and put 2x4 blocks between the frame and strut and could of drove it no problem. I could of saved a lot of damage but I didn't have wood blocks and still probaly would not of taken the risk working on it on a busy road at night.

So I learned to keep a couple 2x4 wood blocks in case that happens again and able to safely jack it up.

Also, the mechanic I was talking to strongly suggested I use grease vs oil on the bearing hubs. Because when you have a failure with the oil it is usually castrastraphic.

Anybody have experience or suggestions with switching from the Vault oil hubs to grease?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    - Jason
    2019 Moomba Max

Quote Originally Posted by htfit View Post
    Just a quick update, FAE was really fast to send me out a new exhaust. They updated their install instructions and added a 3/4" wood block to the back to basically simulate a thicker transom and reduce the torque on the pipe. It has lock nuts on it so you can just screw the bolts directly into it. They also beefed up the pipe to hopefully stop it from cracking again. I have been quite impressed with their customer service.

I do think I am going to use 1" or 3/4" hdpe instead because I am not too fond of having exposed wood that would be potentially sitting in water back there.

It may be a week or so because over the weekend I was pulling the boat, looked back and one of the trailer wheels was smoking. The vault hub leaked all the oil out and it was on fire. I would put water on it and it would boil instantly it was so hot.

I was on a dangerous 2 lane road and they couldn't fit the boat and trailer on the tow truck with out a big risk of damaging it and after calling 3 or 4 tow companies the best solution was to get a landoll trailer which wouldn't be available until the next morning.

Already dark outside and on a bad road, I did the best thing I could think of and drove 5 mph back to the marina which was about 5 miles away.

No matter how slow I drove it still smoked and towards the end sparks where coming off it. Pulling into the parking lot the wheel fell off.

Today I learned how I could of jacked it up, removed the tire, and put 2x4 blocks between the frame and strut and could of drove it no problem. I could of saved a lot of damage but I didn't have wood blocks and still probaly would not of taken the risk working on it on a busy road at night.

So I learned to keep a couple 2x4 wood blocks in case that happens again and able to safely jack it up.

Also, the mechanic I was talking to strongly suggested I use grease vs oil on the bearing hubs. Because when you have a failure with the oil it is usually castrastraphic.

Anybody have experience or suggestions with switching from the Vault oil hubs to grease?

The newer vault hubs actually use a hybrid grease/oil. It has the consistency of grease when cool and becomes more oily as it heats up. That being said, I do not know what is better or worse in regards to that system vs grease only vs oil only. I had a an issue where my vault grease cap fell off. I had ordered a spare trailing arm assembly to keep as a back up on long road trips for this reason. My dealer swapped my bad trailing arm assembly with the spare that i bough while they waiting on parts to repair the one the trailer came with so I wouldnt be down for weeks waiting on parts. You may want to look into that on the boat mate website.
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Let us know how your Boatmate warranty works out. This should be covered including your towing bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Still haven’t got a response from FAE on my second failed exhaust.

Time to blow up their phone I guess.

2017 Moomba Craz

I am amazed that a boat parts company would suggest a block of wood in a boat.
    that's as bad as the tesla owners finding home depot wood in their engine compartment.....

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/discove...ooling-system/

'06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Let us know how your Boatmate warranty works out. This should be covered including your towing bill.

So far, nothing from boatmate. Called a dozen times. Left message and sent email. I called Dexter (who makes the axles), and actually got to speak to someone and it sounds like they are going to help out. But we'll see. I don't have high expectations but it would be nice for them to replace it, if not at least cover the parts.

- Jason
    2019 Moomba Max

So far, nothing from boatmate. Called a dozen times. Left message and sent email. I called Dexter (who makes the axles), and actually got to speak to someone and it sounds like they are going to help out. But we'll see. I don't have high expectations but it would be nice for them to replace it, if not at least cover the parts.

If you are within 5 years, I have heard boatmate is outstanding. Plus of course the free roadside assistance.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Default FAE Install Pics

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I am amazed that a boat parts company would suggest a block of wood in a boat.
    that's as bad as the tesla owners finding home depot wood in their engine compartment.....

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/discove...ooling-system/

That is Hysterical!!!!! I work with Tesla and they are beyond a sheet show to deal with and their Mickey Mouse engineering.

There is a reason they rank dead last in quality

Last edited by larry_arizona; 09-30-2020 at 12:43 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    If you are within 5 years, I have heard boatmate is outstanding. Plus of course the free roadside assistance.

this above is certainly not my experience with Dexter/boatmate. i had a hub fail this summer. (i knew the 4x4 trick) pulled the boat back to nearest town (15 miles, but 400 miles from mine) on three wheels. boatmate transferred me to Dexter and basically gave me a good bye kiss and said Dexter would take care of me, as th dexter parts failed, not boatmate. dexter did send replacement parts out for the repai, with great delay and troubles. so far, all the labor has been paid for by me. I did submit the costs to Dexter, the nice person i talked to said it should be covered and she had forwarded it to accounting. so far i have heard no response from them, nor any replies to my inquiries.

BUT, this is a thread about FAE, I still have not installed my fae. I have not decided if i seek a local fab shop to improve the FAE, abandon the whole thing, or check with FAE about updates before i install and fail.

it seems i will check with FAE about updates before i install.
    19 Mondo
    08 LSV, forever loved

Quote Originally Posted by yearround View Post
    this above is certainly not my experience with Dexter/boatmate. i had a hub fail this summer. (i knew the 4x4 trick) pulled the boat back to nearest town (15 miles, but 400 miles from mine) on three wheels. boatmate transferred me to Dexter and basically gave me a good bye kiss and said Dexter would take care of me, as th dexter parts failed, not boatmate. dexter did send replacement parts out for the repai, with great delay and troubles. so far, all the labor has been paid for by me. I did submit the costs to Dexter, the nice person i talked to said it should be covered and she had forwarded it to accounting. so far i have heard no response from them, nor any replies to my inquiries.

BUT, this is a thread about FAE, I still have not installed my fae. I have not decided if i seek a local fab shop to improve the FAE, abandon the whole thing, or check with FAE about updates before i install and fail.

it seems i will check with FAE about updates before i install.
    Well, that gives me some direction to focus on working with Dexter vs Boatmate.

I personally think the FAE is worth it. Even after all the hassle I am about to go through reinstalling it. I may have a different tune after trying to pry it off with all the 5200 sealant on there.

I would send them a quick email and see if they say anything. I am undecided about making modifications to it. I thought about cutting it shorter but have to keep in mind the current angle of the outlet so water is not forced up in it when driving or stopping. Also concerned about losing the effectiveness of it if I cut it shorter.

As soon as I get my trailer fixed and boat back I will let you know what I end up doing.

I do like the idea of welding some gussets on it. I think that block of wood they sent with new install instructions is suppose to do the same thing. Well see.

- Jason
    2019 Moomba Max