Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Failure zone makes sense.

The pipe is a long lever arm and the greatest load would be right where it failed.

The stock surf pipe has a hydro foil around it.

Haven’t spent much time thinking about the hydrofoil flange, but my assumption is that it counters the loading or dampens vibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
    I post this on FB. I am done. will be ordering stock exhaust tube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6uZQrtCDmk
    I was looking for one on my SL. Priced the aftermarket and talked to my buddy at the dealer. My buddy's response about 2-3 months ago" "buy a stock one".
    Didn't think much about it until more of these stories were popping up on social media this summer.

I'm sure the stock ones have some issues too . . .
    2018 Supra SL400

Default FAE Install Pics

I post this on FB. I am done. will be ordering stock exhaust tube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6uZQrtCDmk
    Wow..not good. I had mine crack and sent it back to be repaired. I told them that he really need to gusset the pipe around the flange but they said it wasn’t necessary. I’m a mechanical engineer (with a design patent), what would I know?

Repaired unit is holding up fine so far. I kept my stock outlet......just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    Wow..not good. I had mine crack and sent it back to be repaired. I told them that he really need to gusset the pipe around the flange but they said it wasn’t necessary. I’m a mechanical engineer (with a design patent), what would I know?

Repaired unit is holding up fine so far. I kept my stock outlet......just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I’m not a mechanical engineer. But IMHO, the Transom is a shamefully weak design and the Moment arm of that pipe is way too much. I noticed this when I installed it, but thought that maybe the drag was lower that I thought it would be and that these folks had it all sorted out.
    2019 MAX
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition (SOLD)
    2001 Supra Sunsport SSV- SOLD
    2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cummins 6.7L

I’m not a mechanical engineer. But IMHO, the Transom is a shamefully weak design and the Moment arm of that pipe is way too much. I noticed this when I installed it, but thought that maybe the drag was lower that I thought it would be and that these folks had it all sorted out.
    Did the transom fail?

If not, the pipe design or material is the problem. Also an M.E. here trying to analyze this break.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Did the transom fail?

If not, the pipe design or material is the problem. Also an M.E. here trying to analyze this break.

The Transom appears to be fine as far as I can tell. The weld between Stainless flange and Pipe failed.
    2019 MAX
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition (SOLD)
    2001 Supra Sunsport SSV- SOLD
    2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cummins 6.7L

Default FAE Install Pics

I experienced the same issue with bolt failures (upgrades bolts) and cracked flanges until I broke out a saw and shortened the down pipe. No issues after that.

Last edited by Boonejeepin; 07-30-2020 at 10:33 AM.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

The new pipe from the factory does not hang as low, weld looks a bit better. Tech says it's way better design. We will see. On my third...
    19 Max
    Fully Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by Boonejeepin View Post
    I experienced the same issue with bolt failures (upgrades bolts) and cracked flanges until I broke out a saw and shortened the down pipe. No issues after that.

You cut your downpipe length? Got pics? How much shorter did you make it and on what boat?

2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Did the transom fail?

Larry, not sure how the transom can be blamed here. Unless it’s flexing so much that it’s causing an issue, but I would expect to see stress crack if that were the case.

2017 Moomba Craz