Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Hey guys, i have been tracking this a little. I have not looked elsewhere for other FAE issues, and am generally unaware of these problems. However, i did buy FAE for my boat last May, but I have not been able to install it yet, due in part to an unrelated axle failure June 1 and lost boat for 5 weeks (not fully resolved, but i hope close).

I have my FAE sitting ready to install, but this stuff is giving me some great concern. There are a few with problems, pretty big problems too. The broken weld should be considered a catastrophic failure. (I am a PE - Civil Engineer with structural and geotechnical emphasis, i know a little about welds and expected performance)

Are there people who have had no issues with this and because all is fine they are not vocal? i understand that we are usually silent when everything works as designed, but we holler when it does not.

should i put this FAE on or should i buy the stock surf pipe and install that?
    Last edited by yearround; 07-30-2020 at 12:03 PM.
    19 Mondo
    08 LSV, forever loved

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    You cut your downpipe length? Got pics? How much shorter did you make it and on what boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly my point, can’t see what the transom has to do with it.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

I bought 3 or 4 pipes from Larry and this last pipe has cracked like everyone else. When I called to get support he was like you can send it back for repair(during summer?) and "we're coming up with new install procedures". I ended up fixing the cracks, beefed up the welds and used larger bolts and reinstalled it. Don't think I'll be buying another from them, it clearly needs some sort of support arm. They should be sending out replacements as they crack with new supports.
    Last edited by parrothd; 07-30-2020 at 12:42 PM.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by yearround View Post
    Hey guys, i have been tracking this a little. I have not looked elsewhere for other FAE issues, and am generally unaware of these problems. However, i did buy FAE for my boat last May, but I have not been able to install it yet, due in part to an unrelated axle failure June 1 and lost boat for 5 weeks (not fully resolved, but i hope close).

I have my FAE sitting ready to install, but this stuff is giving me some great concern. There are a few with problems, pretty big problems too. The broken weld should be considered a catastrophic failure. (I am a PE - Civil Engineer with structural and geotechnical emphasis, i know a little about welds and expected performance)

Are there people who have had no issues with this and because all is fine they are not vocal? i understand that we are usually silent when everything works as designed, but we holler when it does not.

should i put this FAE on or should i buy the stock surf pipe and install that?
    I hate to say it but these problems aren't isolated to FAE. Both OEM & FAE surf pipes have had issues with bolts breaking and welds cracking.

I have the OEM surf pipe and it's had bolt issues twice...proceed with caution.

If your out one day and think your bilge is kicking on too often your surf pipe would be a prime suspect.
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Does the Moomba OEM surf pipe have the extra fin on the pipe itself like the Supra does?
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix

So, I've been quiet up until my earlier post in this thread. But now, after seeing what happened to flienlow, I'm sure mine is cracking as well. I wanted to write it off as surface cracking and that FAE would have surely had enough design / safety factor margin to prevent a catastrophic fail. Looks like not so much.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

Quote Originally Posted by Prospersigman View Post
    Does the Moomba OEM surf pipe have the extra fin on the pipe itself like the Supra does?
    I believe it most definitely does.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

Yes, the Moomba OEM surf pipe has the winglet on it.

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Default FAE Install Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    You cut your downpipe length? Got pics? How much shorter did you make it and on what boat?

I cut the down pipe about an inch lower than the wakeplate in the fully extended position on my old 2018 Max. I also used a clamp and hammer to reshape the pipe to closely match the stock shape at the tip. This is the best pic that I have.

Last edited by Boonejeepin; 07-31-2020 at 12:51 AM.
    2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there

The Moomba pipes have the horizontal plate but my understanding is that it was to control spray to not cause cosmetic issues what the wake.

2018 Max with a little extra weight here and there