Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by htfit View Post
    Thank you flienlow for posting all the tips.

I finally got around to finishing mine. I was able to get the baffle out bending the rear hose and wrapping a rope around it while someone pulled. The only thing I did was keep the clamps on the baffle so it came off with the hose. It was a little easier removing the baffle from the rear hose in a vise once it was out vs removing it still inside the boat if that makes any sense.

I used silicone spray to help get everything slide back in together.

I did bolt it through like everyone recommended. The only thing I am nervous about was I didnt wait 2 hours before tightening it down so the 5200 had time to dry a little. I cranked it down right away really tight and I hope I didnt just squeeze out all the sealant.

I just put it back together without reading the directions again to remember to do that.

It was a big mess though with sealant everywhere. I spent at least an hour cleaning and wiping it all up as best I could.

The clearance on mine from the center plate is very minimal. Maybe .25 inches. Not much room for error on that.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    Nice! Yeah that 5200 was very deceiving. At first you think its like every RTV type sealant but as soon at that pipe hits the transom its a goo fest. Anyone following would be wise to tape all around pipe hole, stick the pipe in where you want and then cut the tape with a razor blade to reveal where the exhaust goes. that way you keep 5200 for smearing all over the boat.

I ended up using the 1/4" bolts. I got the exhaust in fairly snug and waited few day to final torque ( which was little more than an exercise in how to I get a wrench on it.) Then squirmed the hose on the best I could. There was still 5200 oozing. I hope it is Sealed.

Clearances were much the same as you had. There is a not a lot of room between pipe and wake plate.
    2019 MAX
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition (SOLD)
    2001 Supra Sunsport SSV- SOLD
    2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cummins 6.7L

UPDATE: Yesterday I noticed we were taking on water around the surf pipe. I put my boat on the lift and noticed that my top bolt somehow broke. The other bolts were tight. This winter I may need to bore out the holes to 1/4 inch instead of 3/16" SS machine screws. I will also to a head head bolt too instead of Phillips.
    2019 MAX

I had the same thing happen and replaced with 1/4" bolts. Same thing but mine was bottom right bolt but it cracked my weld.

Been chatting with Larry, and he has updated the install with a composite board for extra strength on the transom.
    2022 SA450
    2019 Mojo
    2017 Mondo - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by jcredible View Post
    I had the same thing happen and replaced with 1/4" bolts. Same thing but mine was bottom right bolt but it cracked my weld.

Been chatting with Larry, and he has updated the install with a composite board for extra strength on the transom.
    EDIT:
    Do they sell an upgrade yet?

Also did you need to remove the pipe and reseal? or Just use the bigger bolts?
    Last edited by flienlow; 07-27-2020 at 10:32 AM.
    2019 MAX

This is happening enough that I believe we may need to take it up with FAE themselves. My top bolt also broke last year and I replaced all three this past winter with 1/4"" SS. Still a constant but not dangerous leak into the bilge at the transom exhaust protrusion. I've tried extra "crank-down" and silicon and don't understand why the water intrusion is still occurring. It also looks like a weld crack where the pipe meets the FAE flange. Could be surface only but definitely a bit worrisome.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

I would take it up with Larry @ FAE, he has been responsive to me and will make it right. It is essentially a piece of Trex composite board to give the bolts some more structural components to grab onto.
    2022 SA450
    2019 Mojo
    2017 Mondo - SOLD

I attempted a cheesy fix with the boat on the lift. Futile effort. The boat is leaking bad. In a shining display of brilliance,I opted to use a paint brush to get paint the 5200 around the flange. The boat was more than happy to leak afterward. Today, I am going pull the boat and remove the exhaust. I am pretty far from happy.
    2019 MAX

^^ Ouch ^^
    2018 Supra SL400

Did you wait for a while to allow the 5200 to partially set before you bolted down the exhaust? If you didn’t and just. Bolted it down immediately and pushed all the sealant out, then it could be why it’s leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

i definitely let mine partially set for 2-4 hours....and both times I pulled off the pipe there was a 1-2mm bead on the surface area of the flange.

It was a bugger to get the pipe off, but with a broken bolt it still had enough play for a small leak. The pipe was not coming off with the 5200 but enough play to allow water to leak in slowly.
    2022 SA450
    2019 Mojo
    2017 Mondo - SOLD