Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Raptor 400 Engine Cover

Hey all....just wondering the opinion on the need/functionality of the plastic engine cover. One of the 3 stud posts that hold it on has come loose on my engine and I can't locate it. I'm leaning toward just leaving the cover off all together. Curious about everyone's thoughts....to make sure I'm not missing something; I don't think this would be a big deal. In fact, in the future wanting to put the custom "pizza tray" on top of the compartment, figured I remove it anyway then to allow for more vertical depth.

Thanks!
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

The biggest thing it really does in my opinion is act as a big prefilter. It wraps around enough to keep water from dripping down or splashing up into the air filter.
    I don’t know that I’d run without it, especially if you have kids who are constantly in and out of the boat. May end up with some water in the filter.
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Quote Originally Posted by Broke Pilot View Post
    The biggest thing it really does in my opinion is act as a big prefilter. It wraps around enough to keep water from dripping down or splashing up into the air filter.
    I don’t know that I’d run without it, especially if you have kids who are constantly in and out of the boat. May end up with some water in the filter.
    Better go looking and find that missing peg!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

I don't think that plastic is doing much of anything useful and I wouldn't have an issue running the boat without it.
    2016 Craz

Quote Originally Posted by mcjimmy33 View Post
    I don't think that plastic is doing much of anything useful and I wouldn't have an issue running the boat without it.
    That's what I'm thinking as well. The alternator is right there kind of center/rear. I definitely wouldn't have an issue if I have a tray inserted which should prevent any excess water coming through the hatch with kids loading/unloading all the time. Now, I don't have the tray yet, but....still pondering going without this summer.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    FAE

Just be careful. I’m pretty certain the ignition coils are under there too.
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Those plastics covers started back in the carb days to keep any water splashing past the flame arrestor and away from electrical components.

I would be more concerned about the electric components. Mine (Indmar 350 - 5.7 block) covers the parts by the distributor.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MJHSupra; 03-31-2018 at 12:22 AM.
    2018 Supra SL400

Think I'm going to put a bolt or all thread in that spot with a nut on top and bottom. Think a lock nut would do the trick or should I go with some lock-tite or something?
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    FAE

Use a brand new nylock. Should be fine.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I think there is some risk to the electrical components but the likelihood of any real damage is very low. I also think about the overall condition of the boat. These type of issues that dont really affect the operation of the boat, accumulate over time and will show up at resale time. This one of course would be overlooked if there is a well built/fitting tray in its place.
    2002 Supra Santera (SOLD)
    2017 Moomba Mojo Pro Vivid Orange
    (1595lb wakemakers in the lockers)