Default Boat Lift for wakeboats

Is it possible to lift a wakeboat with slings?

We're considering putting in an offer on a lake house that backs up to a small canal that feeds into a larger cove. And it's pretty shallow back there (about 2.5") and the existing boat slip/lift is set up w/slings and has about a 21/22 ft deck boat on it.

Would I have to change the slings out for a cradle? or can slings work?
    2016 Craz

Man, that'd be tough at that depth. Talk about serious pucker if you are trying to dock in 2.5 feet. You'd have to comfortably know your fins, prop, and rudder will clear the bottom and the sling sitting on bottom when coming in.....every time.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

Thanks. makes sense.
    I guess a standard cradle style lift would work in that depth?
    Any idea how much it'd cost to swap that out? the lift is already in place w/the 4 cables, and i'd assume the capacity is there, just need to add the frame/cradle/bunks, right?
    I obviously need to confirm a few things, like lift capacity etc, but this may be a material consideration for us. The wife loves the house and the location is pretty good. but i don't want to get in a situation where it stops raining for a month and i suddenly can't get my boat out of the lift.
    2016 Craz

The rear sling would be a concern. You’d have to make sure it sinks enough to clear the fins. At the same time you can’t get it so far back it grabs the prop shaft. That’s where I’d worry. All the weight would be behind the rear strap.
    Maybe you could swap the rear strap for hooks to grab the lifting eyes on the transom?
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Quote Originally Posted by Broke Pilot View Post
    The rear sling would be a concern. You’d have to make sure it sinks enough to clear the fins. At the same time you can’t get it so far back it grabs the prop shaft. That’s where I’d worry. All the weight would be behind the rear strap.
    Maybe you could swap the rear strap for hooks to grab the lifting eyes on the transom?
    I would use the front and rear lifting rings and forgo the slings. I’ve seen way too many videos of boats falling out of slings and also the risk of bending the driveshaft and ruining the transmission as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

You would have to be able to have a strap around the rear of the boat as the center of mass would be located somewhere near the front of the engine. You have too many components in that area that could be damaged with a strap. Adding weight up front to move the COM would be too risky with the added weight and potential shifting of that ballast.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Thanks for all the input. I think (for now) we're going to move on from this house. The shallow depth of the cove under normal rainfall conditions has me a little concerned. It wouldn't take much of a dry spell for the boat to be un-usable for a month. and that would suck!
    2016 Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Pound View Post
    Is it possible to lift a wakeboat with slings?

We're considering putting in an offer on a lake house that backs up to a small canal that feeds into a larger cove. And it's pretty shallow back there (about 2.5") and the existing boat slip/lift is set up w/slings and has about a 21/22 ft deck boat on it.

Would I have to change the slings out for a cradle? or can slings work?

Never use a sling , change out for cradle , it will eventually squeeze the boat
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold