Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: System Upgrade

Default System Upgrade

I’ll start this by apologizing - I know an embarrassingly small amount about audio systems so sorry, but this is going to be pretty noobish I think:

I have an ‘04 LSV, this will be my second summer with it. I haven’t done anything to the audio system yet, but I’ve looked around enough to know it was not exactly... professional. So this summer I’m wanting to upgrade a little.

A little about my “boating style” and current setup so you can understand what I’m looking for. I’m not a huge stereo guy, I don’t need to be able to make out every single word from across the state. Once or twice a week I get out with a couple buddies and wakeboard for as long as the sun stays up after work. And once a weekend I go out with a bigger group and hang out in a cove and do (“try” is more accurate) some surfing. Right now, I can’t hear the music very well while I’m wakeboarding so a lot of nights I don’t even turn it on (I’d like to change that). On the weekends it’s always on, but it’s usually too busy for wakeboarding and it doesn’t need to be real loud for sitting in a cove or surfing.
    Right now I’ve got the stock cabin speakers along with 4 JL tower speakers and a wetsounds EQ. No sub currently and no current plans to add one. I have a dual battery system on a perko with one battery for starting and the other driving everything else

First thing is first, the amps in there are definitely car audio, not marine, which I know isn’t a dealbreaker, but good lord they’re big and take up a lot of space. On top of that, they’re showing signs of corrosion, so I’m replacing those for sure. I also suspect that’s some of the reason I can’t hear music very well while I’m wakeboarding, either I don’t have the power to push the towers or they’re just not set up right. Any recommendations on decent options?

Next, comparing my wiring to the pictures I see, A - mines just plain ugly, and B - I don’t have ANY circuit protection except for the master breaker, seems like I see almost all systems having breakers and fuses in line with the amps. Any wiring tips?

I’m definitely budget conscious, I don’t need the biggest baddest system on the lake, but I sure would like to clean up the sound and be able to push it back to boarders from time to time. I know there’s a lot of information missing here, like what my current amps are. Unfortunately I don’t live close to the boat so I don’t have the information off hand. I would definitely prefer to be overpowered than under though, that way I have room to upgrade down the road if I want to. Hopefully that helps. If there are specific questions that you fine ladies and gentlemen need answered to help me out, let me know and I’ll take a field trip to visit my baby.

Thanks for reading this novel and thanks in advance for any help!

Don't waste your money on stereo, buy a fresh air exhaust and you'll be able to hear the stock stereo and have a better boating experience. ��
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

What JL tower speakers? Do you know how many speaker wires are coming out the tower and to the amp?

How many in boat speakers?
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    Don't waste your money on stereo, buy a fresh air exhaust and you'll be able to hear the stock stereo and have a better boating experience. ��
    That’s actually already in the plans for this year, part of the reason I’m trying to keep the price down on the new audio equipment. Good to know it makes a big difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    What JL tower speakers? Do you know how many speaker wires are coming out the tower and to the amp?

How many in boat speakers?
    I’ll swing by my storage unit in the next couple days and check on the towers speakers. I have 6 in boat speakers.

Moving from the JL coaxial to an HLCD like the Wet Sounds Rev-8 or Rev-10, will be more efficient at projection music to wake range. New amps will certainly be more efficient and smaller. If you start to push up against a budget, then you need to consider reusing in one area, in order to reach goals in other areas.

Keep a watch on the classified sections of this site plus the other wake boat forums. You'll be able to pick up some good used amps and maybe even tower speakers to match you wishes and help skinny the budget.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

Quote Originally Posted by BigOrange View Post
    Keep a watch on the classified sections of this site plus the other wake boat forums. You'll be able to pick up some good used amps and maybe even tower speakers to match you wishes and help skinny the budget.
    Thanks, that is definitely the plan. The problem is I have no idea what I’m looking for. The extent of my knowledge is “wetsounds - good”. Unfortunately it’s also more than I’m wanting to spend at this point. I have a lot of other plans that trump the wetsounds price tag for now (seadek, new prop, FAE... for starters)

Kicker makes decent equipment at a more budget friendly price. Take a look on sonicelectronix.com too. Usually have good deals on gear.

good luck!! Rock out!!
    2006 Mobius xlv
    2006 Ford F150 4x4
    Kansas Livin'

I and many others seem to be very satisfied with Exile equipment at just a step down in pricing from Wetsounds. Many also recommend Kicker as stated above and then the economical bang for the buck seems to be the Bullet tower speakers.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE