Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mojo Upgrade

Default Mojo Upgrade

I am looking to upgrade the audio in my 2015 Mojo but I don't really want to bite it all off at once. Hoping you guys can point me in the right direction for piece by piece upgrade.

My current system is the stock kicker in boats and stock 10" sub powered by the kicker 800.5. I also have a pair of kicker KMTC8 tower speakers powered by a bridged kicker 400.4.

My objectives for the upgrade is cleaner sound out of the tower speakers at higher volume and more bass but I dont need to be the loudest system on the water. I am not really concerned about hearing while wakeboarding so tower upgrade is mainly just for slightly louder and cleaner sound at surf speed and at the beach.

I am leaning towards step one of the process being picking up a single pair of Rev 10's. My question is would I see an improvement in sound over the KMTC8's if I powered the Rev 10's with the same 400.4 amp? I know 200x2 at 4 ohms is way low for the Rev10's and eventually I would probably end up getting a new amp but I am wondering if there is any downside to running them off of the smaller amp in the interim.

Phase 2 would be more bass and I dont really have a clear direction on that yet. Add another 10" or swap it out for a single larger sub? Use current amps or buy something new? Again, I dont want or need teeth rattling bass, just a little more than the stock single 10" provides.

Thanks in advance!
    2015 Mojo with autoflow

I can tell you that the 800.5 will handle an upgrade to a 12” sub. That’s what I’m running for the cabin speakers and my 12” sub and it kicks ass.

As for the Rev 10’s. They will sound WAY cleaner at louder volumes than the Kicker 8’s you have now. I just don’t know if it’s a good idea to run them of a single 400.4. You might be able to just add a second 400.4 and each one to its own tower.

MLA I am sure will say different. But to start, goi g to 12” sub will be simple with no need for additional power and the Bass is definitely deeper and louder than your 10” now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

My objectives for the upgrade is cleaner sound out of the tower speakers at higher volume and more bass
    You will never get bass from a tower pod, but a larger speaker like the Kicker KMTC11 or Wet Sounds Rev-10, will yield deeper mid-bass then a smaller speaker.

If the Kicker KM8 is not clean, you have a pre-amp signal issue, amp tuning or amp setup issue. No speaker swap will address this. A 2nd pair (and another amp) will give you more volume, meaning you can run the system volume at a lower setting, resulting in a better quality signal into the amp.

A larger speaker will give you more volume and deeper mid-bass, but if you have an input deficiency, new speakers wont give you greater clarity.

Phase 2 would be more bass and I dont really have a clear direction on that yet. Add another 10" or swap it out for a single larger sub? Use current amps or buy something new? Again, I dont want or need teeth rattling bass, just a little more than the stock single 10" provides.
    Have you build a proper enclosure for the woofer? These boats have two design flaws form the git-go. 1) Moomba runs a non- IB woofer in an IB alignment. Works ok, but not great. 2) the boat cant actually support a proper IB setup, proper woofer or not, as the helm wall is open at the top.

Installing a proper sealed or ported enclosure, properly tuning the amp, makes a significant difference.

Building a proper enclosure, moving to the KM10 2 ohm and a proper amp tune, doubles the amp wattage.

Building a proper enclosure and upgrading to something like the KM12 2 ohm (or other 12" 2 ohm) means not only more speaker surface area (output), but more amp wattage output.

The towers only start sounding bad at high volumes. At low to medium volume they sound great. I have tried tuning several times but I am not very good at it so I should probably think about taking it to a pro. If I got the rev 10s is powering a single speaker with a 400.4 an option or is that a bad idea? I could get another of the same amp and use one per speaker but honestly not sure if that is worth it vs just replacing that amp.

For the sub I like the idea of just getting a 12” 2ohm and building an enclosure. That’s a pretty economical option and I think it would be plenty of bass for me.
    2015 Mojo with autoflow

Scratch the question about using 1 amp per speaker. Looks like I could do that with two channel amps but not the 4 channel I have so I would probably be looking at a new amp anyways.
    2015 Mojo with autoflow

You will gain some volume moving from a traditional coaxial tweeter to an HLCD, as well as going from an 8" mid-bass driver to a 10" driver, even though the amp wattage stayed the same. However, the the 200W rms bridged 400.4 is half of where I would like to drive a rev-10 with. So I would budget for a new amp if you go that direction.

What about an exile 30.2 for one pair of rev 10's? $275 from wakemakers for a refurb unit sounds like a pretty good deal.
    2015 Mojo with autoflow

Quote Originally Posted by cpropes2005 View Post
    What about an exile 30.2 for one pair of rev 10's? $275 from wakemakers for a refurb unit sounds like a pretty good deal.
    That’s what I run on one pair of rev10’s and they scream!
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

A Wet Sounds Syn-4 would be $480 with the cyber monday deals and thats for brand new unit with 2 year warranty. This would 400W rms, compared to 300W.

Or right here in the classified section is this:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....lent-condition
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix