Default Mojo Hull/engine question

Been lurking here for the past year and have decided to purchase a mojo. I have an opportunity to get a great deal on a low hour 14 but know the 15 and ups have the updated hull and the raptor engine. How much better is that hull and engine? The answers in the current posts amount to nothing more than “awesome” for the hull and varying opinions on the engine which leaves much to be desired? Can anyone provide a more detailed response? I’d say surfing is 65%, 25% wakeboard and 5-10% skiing is our usage. (I understand you have to add tons of weight for the surf wave)

and the raptor engine.
    Rather then chevy ford debate, compare the available engines' specs. The chevy marine engines are solid, as is the ford raptors. But they both offer many models, So compare those specs. The boat with the bigger engine or higher HP/TQ wins.

It wasn't necessarily an updated hull, it was a new hull. Different size boat.

I think both engines will be strong performers. They are both Indmar so I'm not sure I'd let that steer me one way or the other. The hull change is a more significant difference, though. Resale may become more difficult on the 2.5, if it hasn't already. I'd expect to see the 2.5 at a good discount below the 15's.

Another thing to consider is that I believe some of the 2015's will have autoflow, which (I think) can be upgraded to the Autoflow 2.0 plates easily. The manual flow found on the 14s is usable but I'd rate the Autoflow as a significant upgrade.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Another benefit of the raptor motor over the older Chevrolet based motors is that the raptor has closed cooling so no raw water actually ever enters the motor itself. This was an option on the older Chevrolet based motors and I don’t think many people opted for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    It wasn't necessarily an updated hull, it was a new hull. Different size boat.

I think both engines will be strong performers. They are both Indmar so I'm not sure I'd let that steer me one way or the other. The hull change is a more significant difference, though. Resale may become more difficult on the 2.5, if it hasn't already. I'd expect to see the 2.5 at a good discount below the 15's.

Another thing to consider is that I believe some of the 2015's will have autoflow, which (I think) can be upgraded to the Autoflow 2.0 plates easily. The manual flow found on the 14s is usable but I'd rate the Autoflow as a significant upgrade.
    Thanks!
    Did you get a chance to see the Wakes in both the 2.5 and the new mojo prior to your purchase? I’m wondering what the main difference is between both hulls as to the wake-as only one poster has said low speed wasn’t great. We keep our boats about 10 years, so resale doesn’t really impact us. The longevity of the raptor engines is also where I’m a little hung up? You know what you’re getting with the old engines but I’m a little unsure of the new engines?

Quote Originally Posted by RH3Pilot View Post
    Thanks!
    You know what you’re getting with the old engines but I’m a little unsure of the new engines?
    Ford (and Indmar) have been using the 6.2L Raptor for several years and have racked up hundreds of thousands of test miles. The motor is fairly bulletproof and is still in service in the Super Duty's to this day.
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Plus the Raptor is a torque monster which is critical for board sports w/lots of ballast.
    2016 Craz

Quote Originally Posted by RH3Pilot View Post
    Thanks!
    Did you get a chance to see the Wakes in both the 2.5 and the new mojo prior to your purchase? I’m wondering what the main difference is between both hulls as to the wake-as only one poster has said low speed wasn’t great. We keep our boats about 10 years, so resale doesn’t really impact us. The longevity of the raptor engines is also where I’m a little hung up? You know what you’re getting with the old engines but I’m a little unsure of the new engines?
    I did not get a chance to see/ride both. I was not shopping Moomba until they came out with the automated surf system. I've seen guys with the 2.5 get great waves, though.

I certainly understand liking the longevity of the GM base. The counter, other than improved specs, would be that both motors are still coming from Indmar.

For me, it would depend on how good the deal was on the 2.5 as the Mojo would be my preferred boat, without pricing qualifications.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

If anyone is worried about Ford building an engine that last, scoot over the planet nauty and see how many GT-40's are still kickin'