Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

I also have a solar panel charger I connect to the battery while it’s sitting. It charges both batteries through the battery doctor if I connect it to the 1 battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Matt (Goose) wrote a post about this being a big debate as far as the 1+2 position goes, I will find it and post it up in here. For myself I run it in the 1+2 position. And anytime my boat is out of the water and I don’t have the stereo on I have the charger plugged in with the switch in the “Off” position.
    I know I read somewhere to not have the switch “on” and the charger plugged in at the same time......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

I know its not advised to charge with the switch on. Its been that way for a while especially in the fishing boat market. Some have complained about hurting trolling motors charging the batteries when in the on position. THere have been times i have forgotten and its never hurt anything but i just assume having it off is better.

I hope we can get to the bottom of this. 1+2 was advised against. Love to hear from Moomba on if this is a myth or not. With my MC, my batteries last all day in the 1+2 mode for starting, radio etc.. never had an issue. Now if i do this the way the dealer told me, I could drain a battery fully and have to switch over. Seems like a weird setup to me. But two batteries powering equally seems like a better way to work this. Plus they both charge when the boat is underway which is important.
    2019 Mondo

Quote Originally Posted by jason1973 View Post
    I know its not advised to charge with the switch on. Its been that way for a while especially in the fishing boat market. Some have complained about hurting trolling motors charging the batteries when in the on position. THere have been times i have forgotten and its never hurt anything but i just assume having it off is better.

I hope we can get to the bottom of this. 1+2 was advised against. Love to hear from Moomba on if this is a myth or not. With my MC, my batteries last all day in the 1+2 mode for starting, radio etc.. never had an issue. Now if i do this the way the dealer told me, I could drain a battery fully and have to switch over. Seems like a weird setup to me. But two batteries powering equally seems like a better way to work this. Plus they both charge when the boat is underway which is important.
    Ya on my fishing boat I always turn my switch "Off" as well and I unplug my trolling motor. That is the way my dealer told me to do it when I bought it so I have always done it that way.
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans

Agree with TXSurf4. I'm 90% confident Goose or Engine Nut (from Indmar) responded a couple of years ago in a thread and said that it didn't used to be the case but their recommendations now are to always run the 1+2.
    Last edited by BigOrange; 05-14-2019 at 11:08 AM.
    2016 Mojo Surf
    Raptor 400
    1100 rear bags / 500 IBS / 600 LeadWake
    Exile amps/tower - Kicker in-boat
    FAE

So this was the first post by Goose (Matt) dealing with the battery switch location debate:

"Well, the battery switch and recommended switch location has been a point of controversy over the years and internally we probably all don't see it the same way. The most conservative approach is to recommend the consumer leave the switch in the 1 or 2 position. IF you do that, and IF you charge your batteries often, then IF you were to be sitting on the lake all day listening to the stereo and the battery went dead, then you could theoretically switch it to the other battery, start your engine and go merrily on your way.

However, what I have found is most consumers do NOT charge their batteries often. And many consumers leave the switch in 1 position forever, never turning it off. If you leave the switch in the 1 position, then you would never be charging the 2nd battery as the alternator is completely separated from the 2nd battery. If you left it that all way all season without charging it, it is likely that if you ever did need the 2nd battery, it might be dead. In addition to that, running the engine and all accessories off 1 battery only will draw that battery down very quickly. Then discharging and charging that one battery often will then make that battery fail prematurely. Worst case is you end up having 1 battery that dies premature or doesn't hold a change very long, only to find out the other battery is also dead from not being charged.

That is why I personally always run my battery switch in both and charge often. One of the highest premature failures of deep cycle batteries is not charging them often enough or leaving them in a lower voltage situation for long times. In addition to that as I said before, if you are in the both position, then you have a true dual battery bank and it will not draw down your voltage near as quick when running ballast or stereo. In addition to that, the alternator will always be charging BOTH batteries when switch is in both. Granted, it can charge one battery at a time faster than 2, but I currently trailer my boat and I almost always end up having a decent run back to the dock at the end of the day when I am finished. Running the boat at a higher RPM increases the alternator output and seems to do a decent job of recharging the batteries. And like I said, we try and plug up the R&D boats very regularly which again tops off the charge to the batteries.

As a side note, I personally think some of the low voltage codes seen in some of the newer boats are also because most people are running the battery switch in 1 position and not charging the batteries enough. If you were to fill the ballast for 15 minutes, while listening to the stereo with key off, I could definitely see the one battery getting into the 11 volts or less range. That is when we start seeing "low voltage" and this amplifies the possibility of seeing the O2 sensor codes when you start back up. That is another reason we changed the 2018 ballast to only filling when the engine is running. While some people may not like it, with the 6 pumps running, it can drain the battery fairly quickly, especially with the battery in 1 position and key off. IF you do decide to run with the battery switch in "both" but want to sit and listen to the stereo for long times, then you can still move the switch to 1 battery only while you are sitting there. If you did that, then you would probably have a good backup battery if you run the 1 battery dead. Just remember to switch it back to both after you get started and then recharge the battery when you get home.

Hope that makes sense. Sorry about change in topic, but thought it might be helpful as some of you might want to try running the battery in the "both" switch and I hope that everyone will try and charge the batteries more often. Trust me, it will help!"
    Matt Brown
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans

Just so it isn't too confusing out of context of the other thread. Another question was posed to get some clarification on the issue.

Question: "I think maybe now you can see why there is some confusion on the battery setting. If I'm following along correctly, you have said you personally use the battery "1 + 2" setting all the time on the R&D boats and that is what you recommend. That being said, it contradicts what we are told in the Owner's Manual (quoted in the other thread).

Is the Owner's Manual being overly cautious in advising that the "1+2" setting only be used in emergency situations? What about the ground differentiation mentioned in respect to sensitive electronics onboard?

TIA for any clarification!"

Goose's Reply:

"That is a good question and I will try to answer it as best as I can....

The guy that wrote that sits in the office next to mine. His job is customer service. As many of you know, they deal with problems all day because most of you happy customers never call him to tell him how much you love your boat. Because of that, they sometimes come across a little on the conservative side and especially conservative when we have prior issues with items. As the boats have gotten more electronically advanced, we have had issues with sensitive electronics. Some of that is our fault, some has been vendor issues, but truth is we have also had some issues that could have been avoided IF people would have used a little more common sense to start with. Again, that is when we really get overly conservative on the owners manual side. It reminds me of the warning on the coffee cup that says the liquid inside is hot. Granted, that was probably because of a stupid lawsuit, but I think you get my point.

Anyways, IF you use 2 different style batteries that have different voltages, then you could absolutely get ground differentiation. And having ground differentiation can cause ground loops and other issues. So, part of that statement is true. However, the way it currently reads, it sounds like it will definitely happen all the time and that part is not true. As I and others have said, we highly recommend you use 2 of the exact same style batteries that are sized appropriately and keep them properly charged. If you do that, then you should not have ground differentiation and in fact running them on the both switch location would probably help keep them from having ground differentiation to start with.

Hope that helps clear up the confusion. We are actually planning to change how we word that for the 2018 owners manuals."
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans

So all of that information can be found in the Autowake Questions thread starting around page 9 and Ill attached it below if anyone wants to read it all in context or for those of you with new boats like myself it has a ton of great information in it.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....Wake-questions
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans

good info. I charge every night when i return to my boat lift. So charging isn't an issue. Still concerned with what i heard about running in both screwing with electronics.
    2019 Mondo

No reason to be concerned you are over thinking it at this point.
    2018 Supra SL550 with 850lbs of lead wake
    2017 Supra SA400 (Sold)
    2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition (Sold)
    2017 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2019 Ford F250 Super Duty (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali 2500
    Soulcraft Vodoo
    Soulcraft Jordi Pro
    Soulcraft Super AV
    Phase Five Matrix