Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jason1973 View Post
    are both batteries charging during operation if the switch is only on 1 or 2?
    No, only the battery selected will be charged (or drained).
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

On this note, can we plug it in to charge while using it? Meaning, if it’s sitting in my driveway and I’m doing something in the boat/listening to music, could be charging at the same time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    2019 Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0520 View Post
    On this note, can we plug it in to charge while using it? Meaning, if it’s sitting in my driveway and I’m doing something in the boat/listening to music, could be charging at the same time?

Yes

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by z28ke View Post
    No, only the battery selected will be charged (or drained).
    If you are talking about the on-board charger this is incorrect.

You could have the perko switch set to neither and the on-board charger will still maintain both batteries.

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

That’s why the battery doctor is superior to a perko switch;
    It allows the main battery to be charged first and then charges the secondary battery but if you drain the primary you press a button and it allows it to be “boosted” by the secondary battery. I have all my stereo on the secondary battery and the rest of the boat runs off the primary. With this setup both batteries get charged but you can never drain both batteries.
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Wirthco-20092...1548ccff8c5c58

2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by RC_Hinojosa View Post
    If you are talking about the on-board charger this is incorrect.

You could have the perko switch set to neither and the on-board charger will still maintain both batteries.

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk
    You are correct, I thought he was referring to alternator charging when the boat is in use.
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

Yah, i was talking about the alternator. And that was my point.. you won't be charging up your batteries when running unless the switch is on to a particular battery then that will charge. I know about not using "both" batterys at the same time. I get that, but then why do we have the "both 1&2" on the selector switch.

Usually i start the boat and use the radio on battery 1 and keep battery 2 in case i run down battery one. I use it as a spare.

My main point is, if battery 1 is down on power, you can't really charge it by running the boat. The only way is to use the onboard when you get back to electricity. Can't switch the battery during operation from what i was told.
    2019 Mondo

This is the misnomer spread amongst some in the boating community about the battery switch.

I had a cruiser before my wakeboard boats, and it was equipped with a Perko switch. On those boats, it is critical to use the batteries properly or you might find yourself “dead in the water” as they say floating out in the ocean or the middle of the Great Lakes!

You should ALWAYS be running on BOTH while underway. This makes sure both batteries are being charged by the alternator!

The reason for battery 1 and battery 2 is to ensure you don’t drain both while the engine is off and you are using power. i.e. stereos, lights, a fridge , etc. while moored, anchored or drifting etc, you should switch to battery 2 and then all ancillaries will run off that battery. That way if you drain it, you can still switch to battery 1 and start the boat.

As I said previously, this confusion is eliminated with something like the battery doctor. The battery doctor isolates battery draw, but does not prevent both batteries being charged and eliminates the boater from having to keep switching the switch.

If you set up the battery doctor as intended you will NEVERend up dead in the water.

With the battery doctor you run the main boat needs off battery 1 and the stereo and all ancillaries off battery 2. Then if you run your stereo until battery 2 is completely dead, the boat will still start, and once the battery doctor senses that battery 1 is fully charged, it will begin to recharge battery 2. Also in the off chance you left your anchor lights running and you killed battery 1, you press a button on the battery doctor and it connect battery 2 (so like running BOTH on a Perko switch) and allows the boat to start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by jason1973 View Post
    can't switch the battery during operation from what i was told.
    Definitely not while the engine is running, it’ll fry a bunch of important stuff.

--
    2019 Craz

My dealer said, you shouldn't use "both" batteries as it screws with the electronics. And that was the reason. On my Mastercraft i always had it switched to both and never had any ill effects. But the dealer specifically said it wasn't about having a battery ready to go, it was about something in the electronics that didn't like both batteries in the on position.
    2019 Mondo