Default 1997 boomerang sunk for a night

HELLO, I just picked up a 97 boomerang CHEAP cause it sank overnight in this guys dock at home. it is dried out and nothing was turned on, turned over or plugged in. it was put on the trailer and thats all. my questions are:
    1) where do i begin with the restoration of this boat?
    2) what are the most important details to look out for as i go through the boat?
    3) what do i need to do to the engine ; im planning on taking the oil pan and heads off just to make sure the motor is visually ok.
    4) what about the fuel tank? flush it and reseal maybe ?
    5) and what electronics in the boat may be affected by the water? 6) finally, any tips or points i failed to mention here?
    i realize ive got a job ahead of me but i only paid $400 for the boat with 400ish hours on it and its in relatively good condition. im not new to boating by any means, but ive never sunk a boat either. any and all help is appreciated. thanks everyone.
    1997 BOOMERANG

Good luck! Got any pics???
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

How long has it sat since the sinking? The best course of action is to immediately drain, then alternately flush with fresh water and then oil and hand crank it with the plugs out, several times on the oil step. Basically give it a good bath and lube internally. There was a thread about this on the Team Talk forums (mastercraft), IIRC.

For the electrics, a good dose of heat from a hair dryer (not a heat gun) would help displace moisture. That, and a lot of WD-40 (though not at the same time).

Not sure on the fuel system, but rinsing out with fresh water first, then dry, then follow with a water absorber like Heet should do the trick.
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

Oh, and don't forget to check the transmission for water. You might get lucky there, but still good to drain and refill a few times.

In the end, damage doesn't start to occur internally unless it's left to sit.
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

Quote Originally Posted by Darter View Post
    The best course of action is to immediately drain, then alternately flush with fresh water and then oil and hand crank it with the plugs out, several times on the oil step. Basically give it a good bath and lube internally.
    This is what my uncle used to do with junkyard engines for his I/O. He'd pull all the plugs and change the oil a couple times-- first after cranking over by hand and then after running the engine on a pallet for a few minutes. He'd get 2-3 seasons out of a boneyard buick engine then go get another one for $75. I think he had more time than money.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Head over to the Supra Forum. They love projects like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

I think that the first thing you need to do is find out why it sank before you spend alot of time on it.
    04 LSV

First things first the sooner you get the water out of the engine the less damage .drain it turn over by hand with the plugs out until all the water is out of the cylinders then load up each cylinder with wd40 and let sit over night then fill with oil let it run a bit shut it down and drain it again. When the oil isn’t mercury anymore when warm you should be good to go

depending on how long it was underwater, believe those came with wood stringers and I know my buddys is a wood floor. could have some issues if you don't dry out the underside and let the stringers breathe.
    not much in the electronics on those boats, mostly fuses, a few relays and some gauges/stereo. shouldn't be too much to worry about as mentioned if you dry it out.

if it was mine for $400, I'd get it running and flip it for 4 to 5k if it's in good shape. future problems are sure to come up.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

thank you all who replied. the raw water seal gave out and it was in the water for about 36 hours. it was last sept when it sank and it has sat since then. i drained the engine, which had surprisingly less water than i was anticipating in it, and things seem to be fairly clean. im thinking the previous owner drained the pan because there was some "chocolate milk" puddled in the heads and a few cylinders. solid idea about restoring it and selling asap, esp with the season almost upon us. anybody out there have a 2008 gsxr theyd trade for it?? lol jk thank you.
    1997 BOOMERANG