Default Picking up surfers and riders

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=808447

Saw this on wakeworld. Please watch especially if you are new to surfing and wakeboarding. Please also keep 100 ft from shore when surfing and doing slow passes around the lake.
    2018 Supra SL
    2013 Nautique 210
    2011 outback v
    1992 Sunbird

Great video. This is true no matter what your rider is doing behind the boat.

Even if you have a boat following your rider and need to make an emergency turn, it's quicker to slow down, turn, and take off again than to do a full power turn. You'll stay closer to your original line which will force the following boat to move out of your rider's path.

I never get the ski/tube drivers that not only take a power turn, but they take it long and wide like they're circling cruise ship.
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

Quote Originally Posted by Darter View Post
    I never get the ski/tube drivers that not only take a power turn, but they take it long and wide like they're circling cruise ship.
    Ski boats have no free board (less than a foot on mine) and cannot idle through either their own wake and often not through passing boat wakes either but the waves generated by ski boats are small (about the size of a bass boat wave). The fastest way to a skier is to slow down in the turn and the turn can be as sharp as allowed so not to make the occupants uncomfortable. I come off plane crossing my wake near the skier but far enough back so I don't hit a wave circling the skier. It's something we have been doing forever but the wave is almost nonexistent but then that is what makes a good ski boat.

I can't even idle through moderate chop. I need to come up on plane with the waves and then turn the boat.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    Ski boats have no free board (less than a foot on mine) and cannot idle through either their own wake and often not through passing boat wakes either but the waves generated by ski boats are small (about the size of a bass boat wave). The fastest way to a skier is to slow down in the turn and the turn can be as sharp as allowed so not to make the occupants uncomfortable. I come off plane crossing my wake near the skier but far enough back so I don't hit a wave circling the skier. It's something we have been doing forever but the wave is almost nonexistent but then that is what makes a good ski boat.

I can't even idle through moderate chop. I need to come up on plane with the waves and then turn the boat.
    Right there with ya on the low freeboard. It just takes a bit of practice idling around the chop. Approach angle and sometimes a little bump of the throttle is enough to raise the nose when needed. We make a small wake at towing speed, but as soon as we slow down, those waves turn into rollers again.

The key here, whether surfing or skiing, is to come to a stop without turning around, wait a couple seconds, then turn. This gives just enough time for your wake to pass you, at which point you have a clear path back to your rider. Optionally use reverse like in the video to stay even closer to your pull line to further reduce the chances of plowing into your own wake.

In the end, you're back to your rider just as fast. And if you have to, you can get back on plane while returning to your rider without sending waves across your pulling line. However, I find riders usually appreciate waiting (when safe to do so) in the water while the boat idles back... it gives them a chance to catch their breath, either after a nasty spill or just a hard run.

I actually use the wake to turn the boat. Start cutting the wheel right after the power so the wake pushes the aft end around for me.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    I actually use the wake to turn the boat. Start cutting the wheel right after the power so the wake pushes the aft end around for me.
    I just keep going. We can always find new riders...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    I just keep going. We can always find new riders...
    bwahahahahahahaha!