Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Brake pads advice

Getting the dreaded squeak up front on the 'burb. Anybody have a recommendation for brake pads? It's been so long I can't even remember what I put on the old Suburban when I did them. The consensus of the reviews seems to be that anything very cheap makes way too much brake dust. The ceramic ones have lots of people that love them initially but by 6 months later they are complaining. Anyhow, if you have any thoughts, please share them.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

+1

I need to get some new front pads for the F150 Ecoboost. Would love to also get brands to go after and ones to avoid.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I ran a just brakes in college. Brake pads are brake pads until you go to a specialty company (Hawk for example) to get a higher temp rating for track use etc.
    Ceramic gives less dust at the cost of noise and has a higher temp rating (usually). Organic is quiet but dirty and easier on the rotor. Most OE's use a semi metallic pad. Kind of a best of both worlds.
    I have been against them for some time now, but after using Powerstop stuff I'm kind of intrigued by their brake kits. It's nice. One stop shop. Can even get calipers included on some kits. Only problem is the vented/slotted rotors. That's impractical for a daily driver, and can even be harmful. Towing you want a solid rotor, max surface area. And dimples and vents are areas for cracks to start when they're hot and you splash them driving in the rain.
    Trayson. I'm positive they have kits for your F150, for towing/off-road. I think its their 'yellow-stuff' pads.
    Kane, depending on what year the 'Burb is the have lots of Chevy kits.
    As far as pads from the parts house, there's only a couple companies that make pads. (Again, until you go specialty) So oreilly pads are probly the same just re-boxed as a set from Advance. I recommend just going with an OE semi metallic pad. If you have nice wheels, ceramic isn't bad. If they start making noise you'll need to go in and clean up the hardware and grease the contact points of the pad.
    Last edited by Broke Pilot; 01-30-2018 at 07:49 PM.
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

A lot a good info I’m a firm believer of OE they equip the vehicles with what works best for that particular model. IMO

I'm about 20k miles into my first set of non OE pads on my '14 F150. I went with Wagner OEX's all around with Centric coated rotors (NOT drilled or slotted, that's a gimmick) and am very happy. I was an OEM man before this, and my buddy who tows his SA with his suburban converted me. I'll buy these again.

I just did a buddies 4Runner the other day with Centric rotors and calipers in my shop. The rotors were extremely nice, and factory black painted calipers wee just icing on the cake. Should last a good while. I hate seein rusted out rotor hats. lol
    Overkill is underrated

2017 Supra SA 400

Wow! One think you almost never see is a consensus of reviewers. It's usually a pretty good sign. I think we have a winner. Thanks, guys!

https://www.amazon.com/WAGNER-BRAKE-...s&pageNumber=2
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Smile

Broke Pilot - You need to move closer to Richmond, Virginia. - Deerfield
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

If I can find a good flying job, I'll go anywhere... I'm a whore for $$! Lol
    I'm actually looking around. I've pretty much topped out at my current company. I love flying this family around, but the plans for another, bigger jet have stalled for the foreseeable future. I want to fly something bigger. Cali is out of the question even though there are a ton of jobs. I'd love to get back to Vegas, but Vegas and Florida are the two shadiest places to fly charter or private.
    So yea, east coast, preferably somewhere around Atlanta is where I'm looking. So your wish may come true one day.
    Overkill is underrated

2017 Supra SA 400

I just did EBC yellows and factory coated rotors on our Burban. Stops like a dream just make sure you bed them properly.
    -Mark
    14 Mojo - 72 hours and growing
    02 Mobius LSV ---- Sold and always will be remembered as the one that started it all.

"Hey you only live once"