View Poll Results: What make is your primary tow vehicle?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • GM

57 34.76%
  • Ford

59 35.98%
  • Ram/Jeep

22 13.41%
  • Toyota

13 7.93%
  • Nissan

6 3.66%
  • Other

7 4.27%
Page 51 of 59 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Tow Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by rhouse181 View Post
    Anyone have a Dodge Durango SRT? Contemplating trading in my Tahoe...

8700 tow capacity on a 6 person people mover that runs 0-60 in 4.6 sec. Figure the clock is ticking on large displacement V8 composted dinosaur burners, so might as well have some fun...
    Fully loaded Kaiyen with gear, gas, spare tire, etc. is around 6500# or less. Add 500lbs of lead for future and you are looking at 7000#. Durango will certainly have the power my only worry would be the tongue weight pushing down on it. Still a "mid-size" suv frame but at least it is once again a frame based suv (2021) and not uni-body.

You aren;t towing 100% of the time so yes it would handle your current toy.
    2015 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

Might handle it if you don't mind being a squatter. Most of the smaller V8 SUVs do fine up to 5,000 towing, then they suggest a weight distribution for anything over that. My old MobV will squat our 2020 Armada Platinum Elite just a little but forget about it with anything heavier. It's rated for 8,500. My cargo trailer has some tongue weight and will put that sucker on the fender wells with just the ball even with the air bag support when loaded to about 7,000. WDH also squats it some but not unbearable...

Last edited by bergermaister; 08-04-2021 at 01:27 PM.
    So when is this "old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

2001 MobiusV - Slightly Modified...

Yea the squat is what I’m worried about… the load leveling airbags in the Tahoe are pretty luxurious.

There are some TFL Trucking videos on YouTube where they put the Durango SRT up against a Tahoe towing a 7k formula vee and a Raptor during their tow gauntlet test. Both videos had some squat, but they couldn’t find much else to complain about besides the lack of an integrated brake controller.
    2020 Kaiyen

We towed our Mojo loaded up, 1/2 tank of gas, people, dogs, etc. and found out that we blew a rear air shock after getting to Norris. Had no idea how long it was bad, but after replacing both air shock in the rear, wife and I both had to adjust the memory mirrors and gas mileage went back up. It doesn't squat at all since replacing the shocks.

I'm sure you could add helper to the Durango. Again, you are only towing heavy 5-10% of the vehicle's life. I would rather enjoy the ride the other 90-95% of the time and be able to handle the boat when needed.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

We haul our 2016 Mojo with a 2013 Durango 5.7 Hemi rated at 7200 lbs, so a bit smaller than what you are considering. It has automatic load leveling rear suspension so it doesn't squat at all. Make sure if you go with the Durango that you specify the Class IV tow package and get the improved suspension.

2016 Moomba Mojo Surf Edition
    2000 Sharpe Houseboat 70x16 (Lives at Lake Powell)

Not towing the New Supra yet but here's my Tow pig pulling the 06 SANTE 🤤

Love the Dirtymax but seriously thinking about getting into an F350 limited in the next year or so, wife wants a 5th wheel toy hauler 😭

IMG_4713.jpg
    2022 Supra SA 450 (On Order) 🤙🏻
    2006 Super Air Nautique SV 211 TE (For sale)

2020 GMC 2500 Denali HD

Quote Originally Posted by Zog View Post
    We haul our 2016 Mojo with a 2013 Durango 5.7 Hemi rated at 7200 lbs, so a bit smaller than what you are considering. It has automatic load leveling rear suspension so it doesn't squat at all. Make sure if you go with the Durango that you specify the Class IV tow package and get the improved suspension.

Looking at your sig I see you have a houseboat on Powell, do you ever rent it out during the summer months? We are from AZ but we PCS'd to CO last year and I want to take a week or so trip to Powell and rent a house boat mid/end of June next year.

2020 GMC 2500 Denali HD

Quote Originally Posted by daltong View Post
    Looking at your sig I see you have a houseboat on Powell, do you ever rent it out during the summer months? We are from AZ but we PCS'd to CO last year and I want to take a week or so trip to Powell and rent a house boat mid/end of June next year.
    Not to be a downer, but at this rate Powell might not have water by next year.
    Everyone better hope for a wet and heavy snowfall winter in the west. Just read they shut down another large boat ramp last week.
    4,000lbs
    Manual Flow

this was the lake that robert used to do the original polar bear on. was there in '12. it's crazy that the lake is about empty. guy that bought our tige lives here. have wondered if he is even able to use it now. what's left of the lake is littered with houseboats...
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/weather/2...nt-orig-jk.cnn
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Holdmybeer View Post
    Not to be a downer, but at this rate Powell might not have water by next year.
    Everyone better hope for a wet and heavy snowfall winter in the west. Just read they shut down another large boat ramp last week.
    We have been getting hammered in CO this summer with rain, and its looking to be a wet winter. Not being a downer at all, it is what it is; Powell has always been "Dangerously Low" but this is a new level for sure. It doesn't phase me as much though being that I am AZ born and raised, heard it all my life...

hopefully we get a ton of precipitation between now and then

2020 GMC 2500 Denali HD