View Poll Results: What make is your primary tow vehicle?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • GM

57 34.76%
  • Ford

59 35.98%
  • Ram/Jeep

22 13.41%
  • Toyota

13 7.93%
  • Nissan

6 3.66%
  • Other

7 4.27%
Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Tow Vehicle

Ford!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    -Jake

For you tapatalk folks ....

At 37 votes the running total is as follows:

GM - 13
    Ford - 13
    Ram/Jeep - 7
    Toyota - 1
    Nissan - 2
    Other - 1
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Maybe I missed it, what was the one 'other'? Can't believe Ram is t making a better showing. Lol
    I can't say much though since I used to also tow with my '14 Chevy 1500 single cab. That thing towed the old 24SSV like a beast, but it was a pain to live with. It pretty much ruined the newer Chevy trucks for me. Here lately my brother and I have been talking about him getting a new truck, he's got a 14 Chevy as well. He's thinking he's gonna go Ford. It'll be the first ever in the family...
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Quote Originally Posted by Broke Pilot View Post
    Maybe I missed it, what was the one 'other'? Can't believe Ram is t making a better showing. Lol
    I can't say much though since I used to also tow with my '14 Chevy 1500 single cab. That thing towed the old 24SSV like a beast, but it was a pain to live with. It pretty much ruined the newer Chevy trucks for me. Here lately my brother and I have been talking about him getting a new truck, he's got a 14 Chevy as well. He's thinking he's gonna go Ford. It'll be the first ever in the family...
    What was wrong with your Chevy?
    2019 Supra SL450

Add subaru to the list...

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

It's probly just trivial stuff to the normal person, but to me as a mechanic and off-road 'enthusiast', it was just an annoying truck.
    The grease/moly paint they use on the frame for rust proofing is first and foremost the dumbest thing I've ever seen. It's infuriating to do any work under the truck. You come out covered in that crap and it sticks to everything for months. Can't wash it off for obvious reasons. Me n my brother were covered in the stuff after we finished the lift.
    The front suspension was another odd item. It's pretty poorly designed with the solid mounted top coilovers. Nothing pivots in the same direction on that front end, which makes it ride funny. (Maybe just me...)
    The electrical side of things in the truck was hard to deal with if you want to put a nice stereo in. The 8" mylink was nice, but it controlled the entire truck. So it couldn't be replaced easily. All the door chimes and seat belt chimes run through the stereo and out the speakers. If you want to amplify the highs, you get door chimes at 60 watts. Plus, there was no full range signal to some of the speakers. So you had to sum them together, which also summed, you guessed it, the door chimes!
    But on top of all that, the recalls were killing me, and then the dealerships not doing the work correctly really annoyed me. A simple computer flash turned into replacing the steering column when I left the lot and lost power steering.

So, that's why I went back to Dodge/Ram. Most stuff is still mechanical and easy to work on with out an engineering degree. Plus, I missed having an oil burner. Lol
    Overkill is underrated

2017 Supra SA 400

I drove all 3 of the american boys when selecting last year. requirements were 1-2 years old, low miles and v8 as I don't tow enough to justify a diesel nor could I afford it and must have the basic tow package.
    my overall opinions were:
    '16 ram was the best contender if all I wanted to do was tow. it tached 500rpm's higher than ford/chevy on the highway at 70 and felt like it was better set up to tow but it felt like the "budget" choice of the 3 inside.
    '16 ford was the one I went in wanting. drove the 5.0 not eco. it had the coolest features for backing a trailer for the novice. I couldn't get over the oversize grab handles on the A pillars that felt like they were in the way.
    '16 chevy is what I brought home. power felt on-par with the ford but the dealbreaker was the more compliant ride on rough wisconsin roads day in and day out. it flat out rode better than the other 2 for a truck.

having had it for a year now i am consistently getting 18-19mpg's daily on my Fuel Buddy app(not the bs computer on board) and towing the boat from Wi to Ut averaged 9.5 which is a couple better than my old '00 f-150 triton.

I know that all make great rides and tons of arguments for each exist. great to live in america and have the choice
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Yea, the 5.7 Hemi can't be beat for gas towing, especially the newer ones with that Mercedes built 8spd. That thing is a beast. Unfortunately they're still eating the camshafts around 60-80k miles and the exhaust manifold bolts are still shearing off in the block. Our old '10 1500 Hemi truck was a great one, but the camshaft replacement was about my limit with that truck. Took me 2 days of just tearing crap off the motor to get in to it.
    Sandm... you really liked the ride better in the Chevy? The coil spring rear in the Rams is the tits IMO, especially if you're not towing. You're one of the first I've heard that liked the Chevy ride better! Lol
    The newer 5.3L in the chevys is a great motor. Anything LS based is the best to live with every day, the power delivery is just so nice. They're hard to kill. It's the newer version of the old school 350. The ram trucks are just set on kill 24/7 lol
    Overkill is underrated

2017 Supra SA 400

Quote Originally Posted by Broke Pilot View Post
    It's probly just trivial stuff to the normal person, but to me as a mechanic and off-road 'enthusiast', it was just an annoying truck.
    The grease/moly paint they use on the frame for rust proofing is first and foremost the dumbest thing I've ever seen. It's infuriating to do any work under the truck. You come out covered in that crap and it sticks to everything for months. Can't wash it off for obvious reasons. Me n my brother were covered in the stuff after we finished the lift.
    The front suspension was another odd item. It's pretty poorly designed with the solid mounted top coilovers. Nothing pivots in the same direction on that front end, which makes it ride funny. (Maybe just me...)
    The electrical side of things in the truck was hard to deal with if you want to put a nice stereo in. The 8" mylink was nice, but it controlled the entire truck. So it couldn't be replaced easily. All the door chimes and seat belt chimes run through the stereo and out the speakers. If you want to amplify the highs, you get door chimes at 60 watts. Plus, there was no full range signal to some of the speakers. So you had to sum them together, which also summed, you guessed it, the door chimes!
    But on top of all that, the recalls were killing me, and then the dealerships not doing the work correctly really annoyed me. A simple computer flash turned into replacing the steering column when I left the lot and lost power steering.

So, that's why I went back to Dodge/Ram. Most stuff is still mechanical and easy to work on with out an engineering degree. Plus, I missed having an oil burner. Lol
    Yeah the electrical stuff is a definite pain in the ass on the GM stuff. The day I start having electrical gremlins is the day I trade in on a Ford. I've only had one minor recall so far in 2 years, and it's been rock solid reliable.

I have the 1 ton, so the front suspension is torsion bar. The Chevy HD trucks ride far better than Ford or Dodge do, much less truck-like.
    2019 Supra SL450

Yea, but I like that solid axle ride... the torsion bar is still good design, it just lacks travel. To this day it's still weird to see them from the factorybalmost sitting on the bump stops at ride height. it still baffles me that Chevy went IFS on the heavy duty trucks. But I'm sure it's just a matter of time before ford and ram go that way too. I hope I never see the day.
    Overkill is underrated

2017 Supra SA 400