View Poll Results: What make is your primary tow vehicle?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • GM

57 34.76%
  • Ford

59 35.98%
  • Ram/Jeep

22 13.41%
  • Toyota

13 7.93%
  • Nissan

6 3.66%
  • Other

7 4.27%
Page 24 of 59 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Tow Vehicle

This is a really interesting find with the under specd hitches.......I am not sure what year it changed but I just built an F-150 online and you can get it with a Class IV hitch from the factory. I messed around with the Online Builder to see if it was dependent on the trim package or anything else and you can add it to any of them in fact it looked like the only hitch you can add is a Class IV. I currently have a 250 so I am not worried about it but have been considering getting back into a 150 in the future.
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    Ha! Let me know when your wife's Altima, or that cute little f250 for that matter, can handle this.
    They can handle it as soon as you can lock your front differential

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Quote Originally Posted by RC_Hinojosa View Post
    They can handle it as soon as you can lock your front differential

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk
    No need. If I want to do that, I'll get a Jeep.
    2019 Supra SL450

Quote Originally Posted by TXSurf4 View Post
    This is a really interesting find with the under specd hitches.......I am not sure what year it changed but I just built an F-150 online and you can get it with a Class IV hitch from the factory. I messed around with the Online Builder to see if it was dependent on the trim package or anything else and you can add it to any of them in fact it looked like the only hitch you can add is a Class IV. I currently have a 250 so I am not worried about it but have been considering getting back into a 150 in the future.
    Couldn’t get a class 4 factory on 2015-2018 even on max tow package. Glad Ford woke up in 2019!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Couldn’t get a class 4 factory on 2015-2018 even on max tow package. Glad Ford woke up in 2019!!!

Ya it is pretty crazy! I wonder how many people out there are not aware of this......
    2019 Makai
    Raptor 450 w/ 1.76 Trans
    WakeMakers 1350s in the rear & 1K in Lead

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Just imagine how many never even bother to look..... I predict many a wake boat owner is overloading their hitch.

I actually educated the local Ford dealership owner, he had been towing his nautique on his 5000# hitch, only a matter of time. He was shocked.

Wonder if insurance would be denied if you were improperly towing.

I can’t believe GM can get away with that from a liability standpoint. How can they advertise a capacity without outfitting the truck to match it? Trucks are same apparently, 1500s are at least.

Anyway, in laws have a quarter horse farm and our GM dealer also sells us trailers and all that. He said the hitch stamp is more used to calculate tongue weight and that’s the important number (500#) that’s listed there. He said none of his customers upgrade the hitch. Either way, confusing.

--
    2019 Craz

In the case of the Yukon being rated at 8500# capacity and only 5000# on the hitch is you are probably looking at the weight carrying capacity. Weight distribution on the same receiver could be double what the weight carrying is.

I know my Expedition is rated for 600# tongue weight and 6000# trailer weight weight carrying but it’s rated at 920# tongue weight and 9200# trailer weight using a weight distributing hitch.

The Yukon can probably tow 8500# with that receiver if it is using a weight distribution set up. This also applies to the F150s. It would be nice to have like 750# tongue and 7500# trailer weight or so with a weight carrying set up though.

David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Default Tow Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0520 View Post
    I can’t believe GM can get away with that from a liability standpoint. How can they advertise a capacity without outfitting the truck to match it? Trucks are same apparently, 1500s are at least.

Anyway, in laws have a quarter horse farm and our GM dealer also sells us trailers and all that. He said the hitch stamp is more used to calculate tongue weight and that’s the important number (500#) that’s listed there. He said none of his customers upgrade the hitch. Either way, confusing.

Rule #1 never take anything a car dealer says as fact.

WDH will increase capacity no doubt, but that in not in play for a boat.

Towing a wake boat (or anything else for that matter) just requires understanding your equipment and getting facts from equipment experts/engineering. It’s the owners responsibility.

Sadly many out there will never make the effort to do the research and tow blindly at risk. Endangering their families and others.

Last edited by larry_arizona; 02-20-2019 at 03:57 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Good info on the various classes here:

https://www.drawtite-hitches.com/lea...towing-classes

GM 1-ton has class V.
    2019 Supra SL450

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    Good info on the various classes here:

https://www.drawtite-hitches.com/lea...towing-classes

GM 1-ton has class V.
    I thinmk ford 3/4 ton and 1 ton also come standard with a class 5 2 1/2" receiver
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD