View Poll Results: What make is your primary tow vehicle?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • GM

57 34.76%
  • Ford

59 35.98%
  • Ram/Jeep

22 13.41%
  • Toyota

13 7.93%
  • Nissan

6 3.66%
  • Other

7 4.27%
Page 15 of 59 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Tow Vehicle

Default Tow Vehicle

The L96 is actually a badass engine once you wake it up a little. It’s got LS3 heads on it and the cast iron block is why GM still uses these in their heavy duty trucks. They just don’t break.

Great foundation for adding a supercharger or turbos, you can run a ton of boost on that block.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2018/...e-performance/

Not sure where you are located, but I can hook you up with a speed shop in many places across the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by larry_arizona; 09-08-2018 at 07:51 AM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

[QUOTE=larry_arizona;332196]The L96 is actually a badass engine once you wake it up a little. It’s got LS3 heads on it and the cast iron block is why GM still uses these in their heavy duty trucks. They just don’t break.

Great foundation for adding a supercharger or turbos, you can run a ton of boost on that block.

Not sure where you are located, but I can hook you up with a speed shop in many places across the country.

Thanks for the info. I am near Dayton Ohio. I am not really looking to spend thousands. If I am going to do that, I will just get a new truck. Was kind of looking for a quick fix to get a little more HP. I put Nitto Ridge Grappler 295/70R17 on the stock rims. That seems to be a major issue with loosing some HP. I wish I would have stuck with a smaller tire now. I was hoping maybe an air intake and or programer could help me out for around $1,000.

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    6 Pump Ballast, Autowake 2.0, Flow 2.0 Surf System
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Digital Cruise Pro 3 (paddle wheel)
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

2005 Supra Launch 22SSV - Sold

[QUOTE=jcarter20;332202]
    Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    The L96 is actually a badass engine once you wake it up a little. It’s got LS3 heads on it and the cast iron block is why GM still uses these in their heavy duty trucks. They just don’t break.

Thanks for the info. I am near Dayton Ohio. I am not really looking to spend thousands. If I am going to do that, I will just get a new truck. Was kind of looking for a quick fix to get a little more HP. I put Nitto Ridge Grappler 295/70R17 on the stock rims. That seems to be a major issue with loosing some HP. I wish I would have stuck with a smaller tire now. I was hoping maybe an air intake and or programer could help me out for around $1,000.

Don't change the air intake, all that does is make noise. Just put a K&N filter in the stock airbox. Maybe a cat-back exhaust and tuner. Won't make a ton of power but should make up for the tires.
    2019 Supra SL450

[QUOTE=jcarter20;332202]

You didn’t lose HP, you just reduced the rear end effective gear ratio.

You will need more than a tune and $1000 to get your towing grunt back.

You want increased low end torque in a truck, most bolt on mods gain peak HP. Cat backs are typically a waste of money and noise makers.

A cam would make a big difference for power under the curve.

Weapons X motorsports in Cincinnati could hook you up. Call and ask for Ben Henredon (owner) and tell him I sent ya.

Thinking $2500 is what you would need to make the 6.0l rock!!!

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

[QUOTE=larry_arizona;332204]
    Quote Originally Posted by jcarter20 View Post

You didn’t lose HP, you just reduced the rear end effective gear ratio.

You will need more than a tune and $1000 to get your towing grunt back.

You want increased low end torque in a truck, most bolt on mods gain peak HP. Cat backs are typically a waste of money and noise makers.

A cam would make a big difference for power under the curve.

Weapons X motorsports in Cincinnati could hook you up. Call and ask for Ben Henredon (owner) and tell him I sent ya.

Thinking $2500 is what you would need to make the 6.0l rock!!!

10-4. Thanks for the info. I may give them a shout and get some quotes. Sounds like this is your area of expertise!

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

[QUOTE=jcarter20;332206]

10-4. Thanks for the info. I may give them a shout and get some quotes. Sounds like this is your area of expertise!

Hobby expertise I guess. Built many GM LS based engines and currently have a second generation CTSV with 700rwhp as a fun car.

Took an act of god to buy a Supra with a Ford engine followed by an F150, hell has frozen over.

Ben is a good guy at WXM in Cincinnati

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Took an act of god to buy a Supra with a Ford engine followed by an F150, hell has frozen over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Ha ha. What made you go with an F150 over a GM? If I was going half ton, I would get the 6.2 Denali most likely.

2018 Moomba Craz
    6.2L Raptor 400
    OJ 15x13 Wake Prop
    Wetsounds Rev 10's

I get GM employee discount and recently attained the ability to get Ford employee discount.

Bang for the buck discount on the F150 was significantly better.

Plus didn’t want another GM K2XX and the new T1XX was unavailable at the time.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Jcarter, instead of cat backs and tunes if you want your pick up back after tires, the only right way to do it is to regear the truck. Throw some 4.10’s in the axles and buy a cheap programmer to reset the speedo.
    All a tune and exhaust is going to do is burn up your transmission faster at this point if you’ve put bigger tires on it ( I know you didn’t go very big)
    Regearing is a crucial step to a lift and bigger tires that most don’t think bout or want to spend the $$ on. And you’ll pick up some mpg’s since your motor isn’t working as hard... even when towing.
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Oh, and as to the original question about a box or ‘canned’ tuner like Bullydog... please please don’t do it, for many reasons.
    First off, most times their power increases are on premium 91/93 fuel. So now it costs you an extra $1/gal every time you fill up.
    Super chips and hyper techs programming doesn’t like Chevy computers, tends to fry them after a year or two. I have a great relationship with the rebuilders here in Houston after all the computers I’ve put in chevy trucks lol
    Bullydog won’t admit it, but on some tunes to show any gains I’ve actually seen them turn off the knock sensors to inhibit a CEL on their low octane tunes so they can crank the timing up.
    Biggest problem with a box tune is no truck/engine are the same, your engine might like to run a little rich to make power, joe Blow’s truck might want a touch on the lean side. With a canned tune, your elevation may be different than where Bullydog or Xxx tuner dyno’d their tunes and then you’ve negated the tuner all together. I’ve seen trucks lose power on the dyno with them.
    I know they’re quick and easy, but if you’re gonna tune it, pay a shop to do a dyno AND street tune with EFILive or the sort.
    But first off, I recommend gears... lol it’ll drive like a new truck, and it’s gonna be way more noticeable than the 20-30lbft you ‘might’ get out of a tune.

And Larry isn’t wrong about the cam, but now you’re still just burning more gas to get where you want to be.
    The factory 6.0 cam is about as good as it gets for towing. Go with anything much bigger or more duration and you’re gonna shift the hp/tq curve higher in the rev range which isn’t necessarily bad, but it’s harder on parts and now you’ve lost true low end power. Plus with any ‘towing’ cam in the 6.0, unless you throw a set of headers on to let it breathe that extra fuel burn out the most you’re probly gonna see is 15-30lbft under the factory curve and a few more than that peak.
    The 6.0 truck heads don’t flow well comparatively speaking, so there’s also that choke point you’re gonna be fighting.
    Last edited by Broke Pilot; 09-09-2018 at 02:01 AM.
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400