View Poll Results: What make is your primary tow vehicle?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • GM

57 34.76%
  • Ford

59 35.98%
  • Ram/Jeep

22 13.41%
  • Toyota

13 7.93%
  • Nissan

6 3.66%
  • Other

7 4.27%
Page 23 of 59 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Tow Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
    Apparently it’s not just Ford that did this. In my quest for tackling this issue I ran across some older Dodge trucks that had a similar design. Baffles my mind why they did this! I also found out you can get a class IV hitch on a ford but requires a different heavy duty tow package that I think is only offerered on 4x4 or FX4 trucks and not a 2WD FX2 option. My next truck will not have a factory tow package unless it’s Class IV or higher that’s for sure. Looking closely at the Curt hitch I linked above I think I can make it work just fine. I just need to cut off the factory hitch cross bar and leave the brackets for mounting the the bumper. I will know more once it stops raining sometime next week at this rate. At least this gives me a little project to do while waiting for the new boat lol.
    Even the 2015+ max tow package on the F150 is still class 3. My brother has that package on his F150 and it’s still class 3 5000# max 500# tongue weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Apparently it’s not just Ford that did this. In my quest for tackling this issue I ran across some older Dodge trucks that had a similar design. Baffles my mind why they did this! I also found out you can get a class IV hitch on a ford but requires a different heavy duty tow package that I think is only offerered on 4x4 or FX4 trucks and not a 2WD FX2 option. My next truck will not have a factory tow package unless it’s Class IV or higher that’s for sure. Looking closely at the Curt hitch I linked above I think I can make it work just fine. I just need to cut off the factory hitch cross bar and leave the brackets for mounting the the bumper. I will know more once it stops raining sometime next week at this rate. At least this gives me a little project to do while waiting for the new boat lol.
    Hit the sweet spot with a 3/4 ton truck...

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Sweet F250 for sure. I just personally resist a 3/4 ton because daily driving them suck. Rough ride. Had a 3/4 GM and would not daily that again.

I got my F150 cured to tow 7200#, just took some doing to get there.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Sweet F250 for sure. I just personally resist a 3/4 ton because daily driving them suck. Rough ride. Had a 3/4 GM and would not daily that again.

I got my F150 cured to tow 7200#, just took some doing to get there.

That's interesting to hear...3/4 ton GMs have IFS so you'd think they'd be great as a daily.

Even with a solid front axle I daily my F250.

My last 3 DD's were 3/4.....2000, 2013 & 2017. I will admit there was a large improvement in drivability when they finally switched from leafs to coils but I've never been under the assumption they'd float over pavement like a RR Wraith.

Quote Originally Posted by RC_Hinojosa View Post
    That's interesting to hear...3/4 ton GMs have IFS so you'd think they'd be great as a daily.
    They are. I have a 2015 Chevy 1-ton as a daily driver. Rides as well as my old 2005 Titan. Fords and Dodges, on the other hand...

2019 Supra SL450

Quote Originally Posted by larry_arizona View Post
    Even the 2015+ max tow package on the F150 is still class 3. My brother has that package on his F150 and it’s still class 3 5000# max 500# tongue weight.

That’s strange because a guy on the jetboating forum says his FX4 came with a class IV tow package. Of course he could be full of it for all I know lol.
    2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

That’s strange because a guy on the jetboating forum says his FX4 came with a class IV tow package. Of course he could be full of it for all I know lol.
    Riddle me this. 2017 Yukon w max tow (8500lb capacity). Yet my hitch has 5,000lbs stamped on it. Read your hitches, a lot are rated under advertised limit. No idea why.

--
    2019 Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
    They are. I have a 2015 Chevy 1-ton as a daily driver. Rides as well as my old 2005 Titan. Fords and Dodges, on the other hand...

Awww....that's cute. My wife's Altima has IFS too, there should be a club or something

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0520 View Post
    Riddle me this. 2017 Yukon w max tow (8500lb capacity). Yet my hitch has 5,000lbs stamped on it. Read your hitches, a lot are rated under advertised limit. No idea why.

Just imagine how many never even bother to look..... I predict many a wake boat owner is overloading their hitch.

I actually educated the local Ford dealership owner, he had been towing his nautique on his 5000# hitch, only a matter of time. He was shocked.

Wonder if insurance would be denied if you were improperly towing.

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by RC_Hinojosa View Post
    Awww....that's cute. My wife's Altima has IFS too, there should be a club or something

Ha! Let me know when your wife's Altima, or that cute little f250 for that matter, can handle this.
    2019 Supra SL450