View Poll Results: What make is your primary tow vehicle?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • GM

57 34.76%
  • Ford

59 35.98%
  • Ram/Jeep

22 13.41%
  • Toyota

13 7.93%
  • Nissan

6 3.66%
  • Other

7 4.27%
Page 22 of 59 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Tow Vehicle

Wow y'all have some really nice trucks! Make my little old 2010 F150 FX2 feel so lonely

Any of you guys with 2WD trucks towing with 305/40R22's? If so what psi are you putting your tires at? I usually run lower psi for a smoother ride and better wear. They do fine pulling our little 19' Yamaha boat but wondering how they will do with the much heavier Max and tandem axle trailer.

Here's mine (disregard fuel door missing heh)...

2019 Moomba Max "MOOMBAE"
    Mods: Wakemakers upgrade + 500 lbs of lead
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by haknslash View Post
    Wow y'all have some really nice trucks! Make my little old 2010 F150 FX2 feel so lonely

Any of you guys with 2WD trucks towing with 305/40R22's? If so what psi are you putting your tires at? I usually run lower psi for a smoother ride and better wear. They do fine pulling our little 19' Yamaha boat but wondering how they will do with the much heavier Max and tandem axle trailer.

Here's mine (disregard fuel door missing heh)...

Nice truck!!! Despite F150’s and their underrated bumper integrated class3 5000# max factory hitches......lol

5000# doesn’t pull too many legit wake boats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Yea I was surprised when you let me know. So much for slick marketing they do huh?

Thanks about the truck. I bought it in 2012 with 23k miles on it. About to roll 189k miles and it has been a good truck despite a replaced tranny at 49k. Thankfully it was covered under warranty. Needs a new O2 sensor replaced before the boat comes in. Unfortunately it's the worst side and one to replace so I am just going to let an exhaust shop do it. I have no idea how the bank 1 passenger side O2 was ever installed!
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

2015 Yukon. We have REALLY enjoyed this vehicle and it pulls the boat very well, although we don’t pull it very far and don’t have any mountains or even hills to deal with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    twkoehn
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1100s in rear lockers
    750 lb IBS
    Acme 1847

I’ve been getting mighty jealous looking at my wife’s new suburban in the garage so I figured it was time to update the looks of my 2010 Silverado 1500 6.2L. I still love my truck and plan on keeping it as long as possible, and a couple grand is way cheaper than a new one lol

It’s time for new tires before my next inspection so why not go with 22’s and 33x12.50 muds?!?!

I’m doing a small (3.5”) lift kit, hopefully that comes in Friday so I can slap it on Sunday.

Also going to black out all the emblems/badges and remove the faded side moulding.

My wife helped with the new badges on the tailgate last night. She is “detail oriented” like most women so I figured this was right up her alley hahaha

I’ll post up some pictures once everything is done but I’m excited about the project and wanted to share lol
    2018 Murder Max
    2008 Outback V-Bought new; sold in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by z28ke View Post
    I’ve been getting mighty jealous looking at my wife’s new suburban in the garage so I figured it was time to update the looks of my 2010 Silverado 1500 6.2L. I still love my truck and plan on keeping it as long as possible, and a couple grand is way cheaper than a new one lol

It’s time for new tires before my next inspection so why not go with 22’s and 33x12.50 muds?!?!

I’m doing a small (3.5”) lift kit, hopefully that comes in Friday so I can slap it on Sunday.

Also going to black out all the emblems/badges and remove the faded side moulding.

My wife helped with the new badges on the tailgate last night. She is “detail oriented” like most women so I figured this was right up her alley hahaha

I’ll post up some pictures once everything is done but I’m excited about the project and wanted to share lol
    33s on 22s? Sorry, but
    2019 Supra SL450

Quote Originally Posted by z28ke View Post

That will kill your towing capacity

2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Anyone on here with a 2009-2014 F150 that had factory tow package? I’ve been speaking with Larry about this issue but he has a 2015+ truck. My factory hitch is a class 3 and it is not rated for the new boat and trailer so I need to upgrade to a class 4 hitch. The problem is my bumper is made to bolt to the factory hitch and then they bolt together to the frame. I want to know if I can just cut out my factory hitch, leaving the bumper mounting sections, and then use an aftermarket Class 4 hitch in its place. My father has a weight distributing setup he is not using but I’m not a big fan of having to use the arms on the trailer and have to unhook them when I want to back up or go down the ramp.

I went to Curt mfg site they don't show they offer the lower hitch for my 2010. They only go back to the 2015. TorkLift makes one that will go under my factory hitch but it’s like $630!!! I don’t care if I can cut out my factory and use this one https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...eid=2010308409
    Last edited by haknslash; 02-20-2019 at 12:42 PM.
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold

Default Tow Vehicle

Ford really screwed this up on F150’s, 5000# hitches won’t cut it.

Granted wake boats certainly have become heavier in recent years and challenge truck OEM’s for picking a hitch for the masses.

But why advertise a truck that can tow over 10,000# and give it a factory class 3 hitch without a factory class 4 option, you Ford owners I am sure are aware of the bumper intergrated hitch design.

I had to use a class 4 curt hitch setup that fits around and below factory class 3. Looks retarded I know.......

On a 2015+ You can buy from ford the hitchless bumper support option from the dealer which allows you to use many aftermarket class 4 hitches. You can also simply cut the 2” square receiver off the factory hitch too.

GM at least uses class 4 hitches

I would not even consider a WDH for a boat. Wrong application.

Last edited by larry_arizona; 02-20-2019 at 01:06 PM.
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Apparently it’s not just Ford that did this. In my quest for tackling this issue I ran across some older Dodge trucks that had a similar design. Baffles my mind why they did this! I also found out you can get a class IV hitch on a ford but requires a different heavy duty tow package that I think is only offerered on 4x4 or FX4 trucks and not a 2WD FX2 option. My next truck will not have a factory tow package unless it’s Class IV or higher that’s for sure. Looking closely at the Curt hitch I linked above I think I can make it work just fine. I just need to cut off the factory hitch cross bar and leave the brackets for mounting the the bumper. I will know more once it stops raining sometime next week at this rate. At least this gives me a little project to do while waiting for the new boat lol.
    2016 Yamaha AR192 - sold