Default Boat Lift, Hydraulic Cantilever

Hello. I could not find any threads where members were discussing hydraulic lifts. I just moved onto a river and I upgraded from a '91 Malibu DD to a '12 XLV. I have my eye on a new hydraulic cantilever boat lift. The specs for the lift I am looking at are this: 4800#,2 Hydraulic cylinders, 10' bunks, 41" lift height. All this for $5500 brand new. Has anyone seen or used a hydraulic lift like this before? It is made by Feighner.

The dry weight for the '12 XLV is only 3600# but I have read that it is likely more than that and I will have gear in there as well. Is there a thread on here were members are talking about what capacity lifts they are using. a 5800# lift is $7700 because it has 4 hydraulic cylinders. I am hoping to save $2200 by getting the 4800# lift.
    Carp

2012 Moomba XLV
    1991 Malibu Mystere

You will be living right on the edge with #4800 lift. If you have the money to live on the river, you have the money for the proper lift. Our lift is an overhead #7000 and at times I feel it is even a bit small for my Mojo. When you factor in the weight of gas, people, gear, stereo, batteries and on and on, you'll quickly see you need the bigger lift. Yeah, it is more money, but not having to worry about it would be worth more to me as the years roll by. And congrats for moving to the water!!!! Dreams do come true.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

One thing about the hydraulic cantilever lift is that the hydraulic cylinders are not holding the weight of the boat when it is in the full up position. The cantilever goes over 90 degrees so the entire weight of the boat is supported by the aluminum structure of the lift. There are no cables at all like on an overhead lift or a tradition vertical lift.
    Carp

2012 Moomba XLV
    1991 Malibu Mystere

I have a manual cantilever lift and it has been great. Since you mentioned a river, cantilevers can't cope with a lot of water level change. Check you conditions. It would suck to have your boat high and dry out of the water for a summer due to water levels.
    1997 MasterCraft 205

2008 Moomba Outback
    1999 MasterCraft Sportstar OB
    1992 MasterCraft 205
    1999 Malibu Response LX
    1987 Marlin Magnum Skier

Sounds like you have your heart set. I would take the time to talk to your neighbors and see what works for them. I personally wouldn't risk my boat or the safety of my family over a lift.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Default Cantinlever boat lift - Water level MATH.

That is a good point you make about the water level. The level is pretty steady during the summer as it is controlled by a damn. I have been working through the math again and again. The highest water level last year was 373 ft and that was during a super rainy spring with a lot of run-off (see attachment). The lowest point on the boat would need to be at this height to keep it entirely dry. If the boat goes as high as 373' and the lift has a rise of 41.5", then the lift would bottom out when the bottom of the boat is at 369'6.5". For the boat to float when the bottom is at 369'6.5", the water level would need to be 371'8.5", due to the draft of the XLV being 26". This is higher than the target level of the river. GRRR. The regular season high for the water was only 372'. If I use 372' as the highest level for the bottom of the boat, then the boat would be able to float off the lift when the water level is 370'8.5" which is just above the minimum target water level going into September. I am guessing the running gear is about 8" below the hull of the boat. Therefore, when the boat is all the way up, the hull would not be in the water until the water reached a level of 372'8".

I have some more thinking to do. Does anyone care to comment?

oneida lake level.JPG
    Carp

2012 Moomba XLV
    1991 Malibu Mystere

I got a lift just for u fits that boat like they were meant for each other
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold