Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    I used to pull the battery each year and put it on a maintainer but the last two years I leave it connected in the boat with the maintainer. It sits outside. Too much work pulling the battery out.
    Same here. Just replaced my original battery this year after 12 years so obviously no issues with using a maintainer.
    2005 Mobius LSV
    325 EFI

2016 SE and using plural battery, Safe to assume the boat has a master battery switch. Off should disconnect all loads from the battery except maybe the auto bilge. If this case, no need to disconnect any additional cables as that would be redundant.

I prefer to not pull batteries. A fully charged battery with no parasitic loads should last a winter layup. If the boat has an on-board and the storage spot has access to a 110 outlet, then use the charger with the batteries in place.

I used to take my batteries out of the boat and store them in my basement but I have never taken them out of my golf cart. Neither seemed to fair better than the other so the past couple years I have left the batteries in the boat with the Perko switch turned off. There have been no ill effects from leaving them in.

Those of you using a maintainer, what brand or model do you use???
    twkoehn
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1100s in rear lockers
    750 lb IBS
    Acme 1847

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    Dropped off the boat for winterization this morning. I'll leave the batteries hooked up and on a maintainer.

That boat looks sweeter with every photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Supra SA

Mine stays outdoors so I pull both batteries and leave them maintained in a closet with the Noco Genius dual bank keeping them topped off. Last year I'd plug it up every couple weeks to top them off but this year I've just left them plugged up the whole time. Golf cart batteries lose 1% per day so topping them off the boat batteries once a month for a night would be plenty.
    Jeff
    2007 LSV - FAE, G4 setup with Sumo 500 IBS, 1k rear lockers

Default Winterizing - what to do with batteries

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    2016 SE and using plural battery, Safe to assume the boat has a master battery switch. Off should disconnect all loads from the battery except maybe the auto bilge. If this case, no need to disconnect any additional cables as that would be redundant.

I prefer to not pull batteries. A fully charged battery with no parasitic loads should last a winter layup. If the boat has an on-board and the storage spot has access to a 110 outlet, then use the charger with the batteries in place.
    This is exactly what I have done the last two years. But have heard the blown up battery story a few times. And manual says to disconnect so was curious about other opinions. Thanks guys.

2017 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by russellsmojo View Post
    This is exactly what I have done the last two years. But have heard the blown up battery story a few times. And manual says to disconnect so was curious about other opinions. Thanks guys.

With the switch OFF, the battery circuit is now an open circuit, same as disconnecting the cables at the battery.

I pull mine and store them in the garage on a shelf on a dual bank battery tender.
    Extreme heat and cold are battery killers. That's all you need to know with batteries. Do with it what you will.... lol
    My brothers shop does more auto battery replacements in February and august than anytime of the year. He just ordered a bulk of Interstates for his shop 3 days ago for the upcoming rush.
    Batteries are expensive and can cause major problems. It's worth it to pull them and store them correctly on a trickle. But that's my take...
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Quote Originally Posted by Broke Pilot View Post
    It's worth it to pull them and store them correctly on a trickle.
    What he said.
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

you're in Texas. with the rare exception (like today) you certainly don't get that much cold. Certainly not more than us in the PNW.

In past years I left them in the boat, hooked up to some harbor freight float chargers. But I upgraded to the ProSport 20 dual bank onboard charger. So I'll leave the batteries in (I have 3 of them) and have the onboard charger keep them topped off over the winter.

I get regular Walmart Everstart maxx deep cycle lead acid batteries for around $100 each. If don't get a few extra months of life out of them, I won't cry.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com