Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What's your location? I would think pretty much anywhere north of the FL panhandle and you're in need of winterizing. Even south of there it's not completely out of the question to get a cold snap for a few days.

Water freezing will crack an iron block. Water doesn't move anywhere when it expands. It expands in place.

You'll have no engine, no boat, and a huge bill for a few months next season if you skip it.

Hopefully by now the point has been made.
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    Seeing as you apparently have no idea what winterizing is or how to do it, I seriously suggest you take it to a professional and have them do it before you screw something up and end up having to drop $5000 on replacing your entire engine.
    this

IMO, I lived in the frozen tundra of green bay for 4 years and had I stored the boat in the winter in the garage it never dropped below 50deg so there was no need to do it, but since you never know when that garage door will fail and the repairman is 2 days out or you get a stellar job transfer and have to move it in january, not doing it is gambling. I do know guys in boise that boat all winter and don't winterize a v8 block-ed boat but they also store in heated garages. guys on here in texas areas that when it looks to drop below 35 they don't drain but rather use a shoplight for heat.
    again, it's all gambling.
    I think the point is while you drain the water most will change filter/fluids and this gives your boat a fresh start for the upcoming season. basic engine maintenance and winterization is a good time to do it all.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Kinda surprised this discussion has gone this far. I hear of a cracked block story every year from my boat mechanic buddy. Unbelievably people manage to not get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk