Default how long how fast

How long should my slalom line be....How fast should the boat be going pulling through a slalom course....What increments does one decrease the legnth of the line?

Hi, I would reccomend getting a sectioned rope. Slalom lines are 75' long. The increments are 15, 22, 28, 32, 35, 38, 39.5, and 41 feet off of the 75 foot mark. I would reccomend that you go through the course at 15 off or 60' of rope. If your just learning I would go as slow as you can with out sinking or the ski not performing. I would also practice turning on the inside of the balls at first to develop your rythm, and then work your way to the outside. It is not easy at first and I would ask for some help from some of the other people around the course. Good Luck, Jay Warren

Default Skiing

Sir,

It depends.....experience, ability, and confidence drive the speed of the boat and length of line. It's common for most recreational skiers to each have their "own" speed and rope length. Please be more specific and I'll offer a suggestion.

Rhino.......

Default Slalom speed and rope length

No matter who you are (if you are over 14) I think anything less than 26 miles per hour is probably to slow.
    B-mens slalom (novice competition) starts at 28mph - or chose your own speed in increments of 2 mph from 28 up to 36mph. B-women may start at 26?
    I also would recommend not using long-line (75ft). 15 off is much easier. I believe that the long-line 36mph pass is actually harder than the 15-off pass at 36.
    I always buy a rope with removable sections and take the first section off and use it for a boat rope.
    My kids have been skiing since they were 5 and have never skiied long line.
    For short people at slow speeds with long rope you can actually find the rope draggin in the water or hitting the top of the wake.

PS. If you are just starting out, don't worry to much about the boat gates. They can psych you out pretty quick.

Dave
    If you believe something to be true, it will be - in it's consequences.

2009 MasterCraft ProStar 197 - DD - 5.7L - 325HP - Zero Off

Use the longest rope possible and go as fast/slow as you can to make bouys, just be consistant in boat speed.

I would try around 26-28 mph with a 75 ft rope and move up in boat speed up to 36 mph from there. Once you complete the run using both gates at 36 miles per hour, take the next increment of rope out and slow the boat back down.

Increase the boat speed up upon each completed pass of the course.

If you have never skied a course before, Do not use or worry about the gates. Figure out the timing it takes to get around the bouys first. Then add the gates in later. Make sure you can complete a full pass using the gates before you move up in speed.

Good luck. Running the course is a blast and very addicting!!

Default Replying to Topic 'how long how fast'

In my LSV I get pulled at 34mph at 15' off I am 220lbs and 45 years old

I ski on my course on my old 65 Jobe honeycomb and rec ski on a 67 burner.

Cut an Burn is the true sport.

If you have visions of skiing tournaments, following the standard progression of speed and line length is a good idea. However, the first thing I do with my ropes is take off the first 15 foot segment and use it for a boat rope. My kids have never skied on 75 ft rope.

Personally - the long line pass at 36 is harder than the 15 off pass. That is why years ago they made it 'legal' to run either 75 or 60 at the slower speeds. When you make the 36mph pass you get credit for two passes, one at long line and one at 15 off.

Words of wisdom: Don't wait too long try shorter and faster.

I spent the better part of 25 years shackled to 15 off at 30mph becasue I thought I had no business going up until I could consistently make the course at that length/speed. In my opinion it was the biggest mistake of my skiing career. A couple of years ago I tried a couple of different really short lengths at 34mph (free skiing), mostly to show off. I found I could make some turns, even at 43 off. I am now using 28 off at 34 for my rough water skiing, and 35 off at 34 for my glass skiing. Clearly I am not going wide enough to actually make the course at those lengths. However, I am having more fun than I have ever had. I also have found that those lengths magnify your defects so they are easier to spot, and hence correct.

The other thing I learned by going shorter, is that you really have a lot more time than you think you do. I find I am now more mentally aware of what I am doing and my body position than I have ever been.

Have some fun.
    Dave

I got back into slalom skiing in 2002 (after a 9 year break). I skiied 15 off at 30 mph, if after 10 trys I made a pass I was elated. Now I ski the course about 2 - 3 days per week warm up at 15 off, run 22 off, 75% of the time run 28 off. Last night slowed boat back down to 33 mph after a 28 off pass at 34mph and got 4 bouys at 32 off. Truly addictive.

free skiing at a shorter lenght than you ski in the course is excellent for helping your timing and mechanics. I totally agree with bensonwdby. Also, make 8 or 10 or 12 cuts instead of 6, this helps make six in the course not seem so demanding.

What speed are you running when you free ski?
    I mess with Texas

Tow Daddy - I used to ride a 65" Jobe Professional (Honeycomb).. Does yours have the variable textured bottom? My wife still uses it. It must be 30 years old... I replaced it witha 65" Connelly Shortline2. Skied that for a long time also. But then my wieght started going up (about 210 right now). I have gone up in ski length to 68" on a Connelly Concept. As soonas I did this I strated skiing better and have gone up in speed and shortened the rope considerably. I have struggled with wanting to gack to shorter, but I find the bigger ski is a little less tiring and maybe a little more forgiving. I actually had to try to go back to the Shortline doing to a binding issue on the Concept. Made two turns and scrapped it. I considered going back to 67", but I don;t think I would ever consider going shorter at this weight.

Something to think about.
    Dave