Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Upgrade to 6 ballast pumps

Has anyone doubled up on pumps yet, like they are doing with the 18's? I'm pretty much maxed out on liquid ballast in my craz, so my fill/drain times are quite long winded. Has anyone else done or considered doing this yet? Any suggestions?

1. Can I run all 6 pumps on the 3 factory switches?

2. I'm thinking I will likely have to separate the floor tank and the IBS and put each on their own pump. Do you guys see any potential issue with that?

3. I think I remember drew tinker making a comment on the fb page, that said they still only use 3 through hulls for the 6 pump system. He said the pumps pretty much draw as much water as they need. Does this seem accurate to you guys?

Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Considering the same. I do believe that a single mushroom can easily feed two pumps.

2016 SE450

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had the same thought when demoing the Max this summer, following.
    Boatless for now

I have a phone call with Michael Sims from Mikes Liquid Audio on my to do list. He will give me the skinny. BUT, I think splitting the line from the thru hull to feed to pumps is just fine. From there, it might be advisable to feed the bag with each pumps own dedicated line.

Wiring wise, need to figure out amp draw of those pumps. If together they are less than the wiring gauge and breaker can handle, I would think same switch is fine.

Doubling rear ballast fill rate would be so nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep us posted on what MLA tells you.

2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

my understanding is that they have a relay system in the new boats with the 6 pump system because the amp draw of 3 more pumps is more than the wiring system can handle w/o a relay...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattsask View Post
    Has anyone doubled up on pumps yet, like they are doing with the 18's? I'm pretty much maxed out on liquid ballast in my craz, so my fill/drain times are quite long winded. Has anyone else done or considered doing this yet? Any suggestions?

1. Can I run all 6 pumps on the 3 factory switches?

2. I'm thinking I will likely have to separate the floor tank and the IBS and put each on their own pump. Do you guys see any potential issue with that?

3. I think I remember drew tinker making a comment on the fb page, that said they still only use 3 through hulls for the 6 pump system. He said the pumps pretty much draw as much water as they need. Does this seem accurate to you guys?

Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.

when the question was posed to Goose (that works for Skiers Choice) to explain some details about the 6 pump system on the Max, he said the following:

Quote Originally Posted by goose View Post
    Good question. With the 6 pump system, we are actually only using 3 thru hulls and splitting the line to each pump. In our testing, we found with the impellor pumps, they will pull the water they need and while it may not be 100% efficient, it was more efficient and more feasible than to install 6 thru hulls in the bottom of the boat. Not sure if you have looked, but we are running out of real estate in the bilge area. I have a feeling you might be asking this because you want to do this yourself for your 2017 Pro?? If that is the case, then yes, anything is possible, but we did also relocate both front pumps to be mounted on a panel in front of the front ballast tank. We had to slightly modify the front ballast tank to make room. Obviously we also had to change wiring and we actually power the 6 pumps through 3 different relay based boxes. Again, anything is possible and I have seen other people do similar modifications to their current boats so if that was the reason for your question, hopefully that answers some of the technical details.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

So based on this answer, we are still not sure. It really just depends on the capacity of the current wiring. Relays almost always make sense, which is probably one of the reasons they did that.

I would not expect the switch/pump to pump wiring to be ample enough to support 2 impeller pumps. On the 6 pump setup, id suspect that each pump's harness is home run from the pump to the switch/relay output.

So adding supplementary pumps to an existing single pump system, you would want to supply each new pump with its own harness from the source.

As too the switches. Whether these are traditional mechanical DPDT rocker switches or touch screen controlled through the helm system, I would not want to parallel a 2nd impeller pump to each output. This can be 60A peak and about a 40A constant current draw. This will overload a Carling rocker for sure. I would convert the switch to a SPDT and use relays for both pumps.

If touch screen controlled, there is a good chance they are using a relay assembly to control the polarity reversal of the pump and the relay packs low side input is controlled by the PSB helm system. This would be most ideal for adding that 2nd pump. Just need to wire the other relay assembly input in parallel to the existing pump relay assembly input.

Default Upgrade to 6 ballast pumps

Following.... I did a bit of research on my 16.
    Looks like each pump needs 20 amps of fuse and uses 11.5 amps. Currently the controller pictured below is fused to 60 amps. In an ideal situation I could just bump my fuse to 120 and split each pump wiring to feed 6 total pumps, but I doubt it is that easy.

2016 Mojo