Default Boatmate Trailer Weight Mojo

I don't live on a lake, so I have to trailer. I was curious if adding lead weight would be a problem for our trailer. Boatmate is always quick to respond and seens to be a great company. I'm just throwing this out there for general knowledge.

I wanted to add 1k lb of lead weight and this was his response.

RE: 2015 Moomba
    MH
    Michal Haney <[email protected]>

Reply|
    Today, 9:09 AM
    You
    You replied on 11/21/2017 10:11 AM.

Your trailer has (2) 3500lbs Spring Axles and a GVWR of 7000lbs. Your boat weighs 3900lbs with no fuel or extra accessories and the trailer is 1250lbs. Base weight of the trailer and boat, empty, is 5150lbs. Dividing this evenly between the two axles would set them at 2575lbs a piece.

Adding an extra 1000lbs to the boat would set it at 6150lbs. Dividing this evenly between the two axles would set them at 3075lbs a piece.

The numbers above are only if the weight is evenly distributed between axles and with an empty boat. Many times weight is just added to the rear of the boat for bigger surfs.

Now, some drawbacks to adding weight to the boat are as follows:

1. Tongue weight will be affected and overall towing can be affected, even if the trailer is level. The trailer can walk behind the tow vehicle.
    2. Adding weight can cause to overload the axles. When the trailer axles are overloaded then can bend as they have a camber built into the center section. Once the center section is bent, the entire axle will need to be replaced.
    3. Overloading can cause bearings to fail, repeatedly. The overloading of the axle will put pressure on the center section causing the wheels and tires to sit at an angel.
    4. Uneven Tire wear can and will occur. In the picture above, you can see the overloaded trailer tires will sit at an angel. The tires will wear on the inside severely and blow.

Boatmate Trailer.jpg

I don’t want to tell you what to do with your boat and trailer, however, we have seen issues with this in the past and strongly suggest against it. Our trailers are made only for the boat with a full tank, and whatever accessories (ie speakers, boom tower, surf tabs) may be added. We don’t calculate for additional weight to be added.
    2015 Mojo Surf

You need to calculate the tongue weight with the boat fully loaded and the added weight in the locations you plan to use. I'm thinking you will need to move some of the weight forward of the wheels when trailering. The farther forward you move them the less weight that has to be moved.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Default Boatmate Trailer Weight Mojo

1k of lead weight is more than what is normally talked about to add. 200-500 seems to be more in the normal range. Maybe consider bigger bags to get some of that?
    Also, seems like lead in the right spots has more impact on wave than equivalent bag water weight. For example putting 200 in very back rear corner of surf side may surprise how much it does to the wave. So you might try 500 in right spot before jumping so high?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Supra SA

I have had 400lvs lead weight in my boat since 13

Not an issue even with all my gear and such. The only issue was when I moved from OR to GA and I loaded a lot of cloths blankets and other things.

I exceeded the tires weight and blew two rear tires. Also were my lead sits.

I have the spring axle and you have to watch it over bumps or it will bottom out and it hits the trailer frame.

You can upgrade to 15” or larger wheels to get better weight rated tires though.

You will also find having that much lead weight will make trailering more difficult, but not impossible
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]